Fiona

Default Vegan food in the Western Isles of Scotland?

Has anyone visited the Western Isles (Scotland)? I'm wondering what the
chances are of being able to get dairy-free spreads, etc there when I'm on
holiday. And eating out also?

Creature

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:38:34 -0000, Fiona wrote:
> Has anyone visited the Western Isles (Scotland)? I'm wondering what the
> chances are of being able to get dairy-free spreads, etc there when I'm on
> holiday. And eating out also?

I'm not familiar with the Western Isles, but I've spent a little time in
the Outer Hebrides (the Isle of Lewis, actually). Basically, I wouldn't
hope for anything too presumptuous, and eating out can be hit-and-miss.
But I found the places I ate fairly accomodating. But I'd have a backup
plan, to be honest - I did have to explain myself a fair bit, and got a
few odd looks. The Isle of Lewis has a co-op store, so there at least you
can find sustanance.

--
Alex Pounds (Creature) .~. LGBTSoc Comms Person
CS2 Student /V\ Website working group chair
MrFalafel

"Fiona" > wrote in message >...
> Has anyone visited the Western Isles (Scotland)? I'm wondering what the
> chances are of being able to get dairy-free spreads, etc there when I'm on
> holiday. And eating out also?

Only have been on Isle Of Skye and around Ft William and that area.
Pretty rural. Don't expect much! Eating out will mostly likely consist
of jacket potato with baked beans and a side salad.

If I was going to tour that area, I'd get self-catering accomodations
and bring a bag of basic vegan fare with me to cook myself. The shops
will only carry fairly basic items. I did this when touring the
Orkneys and it worked out quite well. I did stumble on a restaurant or
two that served vegetarian meals but it was nice not having to depend
on them as I had loads of food back at the self-catering house.
Fiona

> Only have been on Isle Of Skye and around Ft William and that area.
> Pretty rural. Don't expect much! Eating out will mostly likely consist
> of jacket potato with baked beans and a side salad.
>
> If I was going to tour that area, I'd get self-catering accomodations
> and bring a bag of basic vegan fare with me to cook myself. The shops
> will only carry fairly basic items. I did this when touring the
> Orkneys and it worked out quite well. I did stumble on a restaurant or
> two that served vegetarian meals but it was nice not having to depend
> on them as I had loads of food back at the self-catering house.

I live in Orkney, so I do know what rural areas are like. I'm going to Barra
and flying so baggage will be very limited, I'm really wondering what we'll
be able to buy on Barra in the way of diary-free stuff as we're
self-catering. I was hoping maybe someone would have been and could tell me.

And as an aside - Orkney has improved hugely in the last year or so in the
range of stuff you can buy in the shops, and also in eating places being
willing to make you something different or adapt something on the menu to
suit you.

Fiona

> I'm not familiar with the Western Isles, but I've spent a little time in
> the Outer Hebrides (the Isle of Lewis, actually).

The Western Isles and Outer Hebrides are the same thing.

> But I found the places I ate fairly accomodating. But I'd have a backup
> plan, to be honest - I did have to explain myself a fair bit, and got a
> few odd looks. The Isle of Lewis has a co-op store, so there at least you
> can find sustanance.

Some co-ops seem to stock dairy-free, etc while others have nothing like
that. It seems very hit and miss.