Posted to alt.food.wine

Default residue at cork

wrote:
> I tried a California merlot & discovered a thick, dark residue on the
> inside of the bottle after it was corked. Ick! What is it? I
> presume this is something to do with improper storage.
>
> Thanks in advance, my fellow wine lovers!!

Many red wines will drop a sediment after bottling. It's a totally
natural thing and in no way harms the wine. The stuff on the inside of
the cork is often that same sediment combined with crystals of tartaric
acid, another natural component of wine. The only thing I'd suggest is
that you don't agitate the bottle too much when pouring from a bottle
with sediment in it, as the sediment itself will impart a bitter taste
to the wine. If it's been agitated, you can pour the wine through a
coffee filter to remove the sediment.

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: