Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default The 27-cent-a lb Chicken Leg Quarter Lives!

"Blinky the Shark" wrote

>> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one, tend
>> to *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to run one.

> What *does* yours cost to run?

I have the bigger model. 7$ a month per the energy ratings and using the
highest electrical cost I can find for KWH. My area is significantly lower
than that so for me, running about 4$ a month.

More normal 5-7ft ones will run 1/2 that from what the web shows.

Take worst case scenario for 7$. Now match to 10 lbs of chicken in a mere
month that was caught on sale for just 50cents less than normal. With a
regular freezer, unless you want to eat chicken every meal, you cant stow
it. So, call this a 5$ savings.

See that sale on bacon that needs to be 3 lbs to get that rate and saves you
1.50$? 10 of a GOOD type frozen pizza perhaps? Wanna stop buying chicken
stock forever but need to be able to save up (safely) chicken bones to make
it from? Then make 3G at a time in a crockpot which also saves money but you
need to be able to stow it?

I assure you. I get much more than 7$ a month savings and in fact since my
electrical rate is far less than that, am paying about 4$ so more than break
even on that mere chicken deal above with no other items accounted for.