Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The 27-cent-a lb Chicken Leg Quarter Lives!

http://tinyurl.com/3zazgv

This means, about a buck fifty for a really large package. I got four, and
splurged on some really nice pork chops with the savings.

I posted this just for you, Jill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote

> This means, about a buck fifty for a really large package. I got four, and
> splurged on some really nice pork chops with the savings.

I have my extra chest freezer just for such things <g>.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "cybercat" wrote
>
> > This means, about a buck fifty for a really large package. I got four, and
> > splurged on some really nice pork chops with the savings.

> I have my extra chest freezer just for such things <g>.

You're most probably wasting more money on energy for the freezer than
you saving with the purchase of cheap meat items...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberCHEAP clucks:

> http://tinyurl.com/3zazgv
>
> This means, about a buck fifty for a really large package. I got four, and
> splurged on some really nice pork chops with the savings.
>
> I posted this just for you, Jill.

We are gawping in awe that you saved a *whole* buck or so,
cyberpussy...

And pork has been so inexpensive lately (Chicawgo) that I don't have
to scrimp on lowly chicken legs in order to afford some nice chops or
a roast or whatever...

Sounds like you lead a fairly penurious, e.g CHEEP existence there,
luv...!!!

:-P

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> I have my extra chest freezer just for such things <g>.

> You're most probably wasting more money on energy for the freezer than
> you saving with the purchase of cheap meat items...

Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one, tend to
*ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to run one.

I know how to properly wrap for long storage so I can use this unit very
well to save quite a bit on the collective budget even adding it the cost to
run it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote in message
> "Gregory Morrow" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> I have my extra chest freezer just for such things <g>.
>>>

>> You're most probably wasting more money on energy
>> for the freezer than you saving with the purchase of
>> cheap meat items...
>>

> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have
> never had one, tend to *ass*ume many things, including
> severely inflated costs to run one.
>
> I know how to properly wrap for long storage so I can
> use this unit very well to save quite a bit on the collective
> budget even adding it the cost to run it.

Gregory Moron never allows little things like facts to invade
his knows-it-all braying.

Good luck on that purchase! I wish the Left Coast would allow
prices like that. But then we'd probably have Ma Earth crack
the entire kingdom asunder to join Atlantis.

ObChickenprices: <sigh> $2.99 / lb for "buffalo wings."

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" wrote

>> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one, tend
>> to *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to run one.

> What *does* yours cost to run?

I have the bigger model. 7$ a month per the energy ratings and using the
highest electrical cost I can find for KWH. My area is significantly lower
than that so for me, running about 4$ a month.

More normal 5-7ft ones will run 1/2 that from what the web shows.

Take worst case scenario for 7$. Now match to 10 lbs of chicken in a mere
month that was caught on sale for just 50cents less than normal. With a
regular freezer, unless you want to eat chicken every meal, you cant stow
it. So, call this a 5$ savings.

See that sale on bacon that needs to be 3 lbs to get that rate and saves you
1.50$? 10 of a GOOD type frozen pizza perhaps? Wanna stop buying chicken
stock forever but need to be able to save up (safely) chicken bones to make
it from? Then make 3G at a time in a crockpot which also saves money but you
need to be able to stow it?

I assure you. I get much more than 7$ a month savings and in fact since my
electrical rate is far less than that, am paying about 4$ so more than break
even on that mere chicken deal above with no other items accounted for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chicken Fingered" wrote

> We are gawping in awe that you saved a *whole* buck or so,
> cyberpussy...

Greg, what part of the subject line escaped your attention?

..29/1.50=5.17 lbs of chicken

She got 4 packs so it's about 20 lbs at 1.50 roughly each for a whopping
cost of 6$

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> I have my extra chest freezer just for such things <g>.

>> You're most probably wasting more money on energy for the freezer than
>> you saving with the purchase of cheap meat items...

> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one, tend
> to *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to run one.

What *does* yours cost to run?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Gregory Morrow" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> I have my extra chest freezer just for such things <g>.

>> You're most probably wasting more money on energy for the freezer
>> than you saving with the purchase of cheap meat items...

> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one,
> tend to *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to
> run one.
> I know how to properly wrap for long storage so I can use this unit
> very well to save quite a bit on the collective budget even adding it
> the cost to run it.

Don't worry your head about it, Carol. Greg has a knee-jerk reaction to
anything and everything posted by "cybercat". Why he doesn't just use a
killfile is a mystery.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chicken Fingered wrote:
> cyberCHEAP clucks:
>

>> http://tinyurl.com/3zazgv
>>
>> This means, about a buck fifty for a really large package. I got
>> four, and splurged on some really nice pork chops with the savings.
>>
>> I posted this just for you, Jill.

> We are gawping in awe that you saved a *whole* buck or so,
> cyberpussy...
>
> And pork has been so inexpensive lately (Chicawgo) that I don't have
> to scrimp on lowly chicken legs in order to afford some nice chops or
> a roast or whatever...

I've no idea why "cybercat" would post this just for me LOL I haven't
bought chicken leg quarters in at least 20 years. Besides, chicken isn't
one of my favourite things. And yes, pork chops are relatively cheap. Pork
steaks even moreso. A little Penzey's adobo on a grilled pork steak,
heavenly

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote:
> "Gregory Morrow" wrote
> > cshenk wrote:
> >> I have my extra chest freezer just for such things <g>.

> > You're most probably wasting more money on energy for the freezer than
> > you saving with the purchase of cheap meat items...

> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one, tend to
> *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to run one.
>
> I know how to properly wrap for long storage

Not only does it cost more to own/operate a freezer than the savings
from cheap food items but your fancy schmancy wrappings probably cost
as much if not more than that fercocktah garbage chicken (not to
mention time and effort). Cut up chicken is ALWAYS mystery meat
garbage anyway, but especially those cheapo parts... there's good
reason why it's only 29 cents/lb... yoose don't want to see all the
cancerous portions that were trimmed away to be made into fertilzer...
then they had to decide whether to use that batch of salvage for pet
food or to feed food dummies like yoose... not worth cooking that
crap. It's false economy stocking up a freezer with high quality
foods, it's always an economical loss stocking up a freezer with cheap
foods like bargain chicken parts and the like. There is no economical
advantage in freezing large quantities of food.... people with
functioning brains put all that money they spent on freezers, energy,
maintenence packaging supplies/equipment, and especially to fill it
with food into interest bearing instruments instead, even an ordinary
savings acct is better. If you live way out in the boonies like a
hundred miles from a stupidmarket so you shop perhaps every two months
and/or have a huge family, then it makes sense to use a freezer for
*convenience*, but still it saves no money. Folks who stock up
freezers have a mental problem, clinical insecurity, they're
constantly ascared they're gonna starve.

And just when all your freezer space is crammed packed is when there
will be a major power outage from a storm and you lose it all... and
your insurance will only pay for like a $100 worth at best on lost
food, usually $50.... and most insurance policys pay nothing until you
pay the deductible, most folks have a $1,000 deductible on storm
damage. Home owner policys pay nothing if your freezer fails... even
extended warrantys from the manufacturer (yet another cost) pay
nothing for lost food.

A second refrigerator-freezer is a much better choice for convenience
than a dedicated freezer only. I have a second no-frills refrigerator-
freezer in my basement.... it's very convenient but I know it saves me
not a cent, in fact it costs me quite a few bucks in bigger electric
bills, probably $200/yr. I have it primarily to store my home grown
produce... yet another economic loss... there is no money saved in
growing your own veggies... a home garden is strictly a hobby, an
expensive hobby.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Chicken Fingered" wrote
>

>> We are gawping in awe that you saved a *whole* buck or so,
>> cyberpussy...

> Greg, what part of the subject line escaped your attention?
>
> .29/1.50=5.17 lbs of chicken
>
> She got 4 packs so it's about 20 lbs at 1.50 roughly each for a whopping
> cost of 6$

The more I save the more I can donate to the food bank and elsewhere.

I consider getting the best value I can a moral imperative. And I enjoy it.
I don't often do things I don't enjoy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:58:54 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>> cyberCHEAP clucks:
>>

>>> http://tinyurl.com/3zazgv
>>>
>>> This means, about a buck fifty for a really large package. I got
>>> four, and splurged on some really nice pork chops with the savings.
>>>
>>> I posted this just for you, Jill.

>I've no idea why "cybercat" would post this just for me LOL I haven't
>bought chicken leg quarters in at least 20 years.

i do.

i should have <snorted> at the time.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:58:54 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>> cyberCHEAP clucks:

>>I've no idea why "cybercat" would post this just for me LOL I haven't
>>bought chicken leg quarters in at least 20 years.

> i do.
>
> i should have <snorted> at the time.

Jill's last 27 cocktails have affected her usually fine <snort> memory.

Anybody else remember the "29-cent-a lb" chicken thread, initiated by Jill?
Who claimed she could get chicken at his price all the time, while many of
us said, "Not in the last 20 years."

Thanks, Blake, for responding to his, so that I can see that the Princess of
my killfile still drips with snot at every opportunity.

When Jill sobers up, will someone explain to her that I was actually backing
up a stupid claim she made?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote
> cshenk wrote:
>> "Gregory Morrow" wrote
>>> cshenk wrote:

> Don't worry your head about it, Carol. Greg has a knee-jerk reaction to
> anything and everything posted by "cybercat". Why he doesn't just use a
> killfile is a mystery.

Yeah I noticed (mystified look). Actually Cybercat and I travel all 3 of
the newsgroups I read and I find her normally quite decent to chat with! I
dont read all the threads in this group though (too much going on).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>> She got 4 packs so it's about 20 lbs at 1.50 roughly each for a whopping
>> cost of 6$

> The more I save the more I can donate to the food bank and elsewhere.

Good! As you may recall, I do this too. Not as much now that it's warmer
(they don't need as much)

> I consider getting the best value I can a moral imperative. And I enjoy
> it.
> I don't often do things I don't enjoy.

I do it because I enjoy having extra money around, which I can use for
whatever I want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote

>> And pork has been so inexpensive lately (Chicawgo) that I don't have
>> to scrimp on lowly chicken legs in order to afford some nice chops or
>> a roast or whatever...
>>

> I've no idea why "cybercat" would post this just for me LOL I haven't
> bought chicken leg quarters in at least 20 years. Besides, chicken isn't

She's probably just trying to remind you of a favorite <g>.

> one of my favourite things. And yes, pork chops are relatively cheap.
> Pork steaks even moreso. A little Penzey's adobo on a grilled pork steak,
> heavenly

Sounds it! I use adobo on chicken in a boil. Then the flavored water/stock
gets recycled into other dishes. My pork gets marinaded and fast cooked on
a high heat in a cast iron pan for about 3 mins a side then turned off and
let 'rest'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote

>> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one, tend
>> *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to run one.
>>
>> I know how to properly wrap for long storage

> Not only does it cost more to own/operate a freezer than the savings
> from cheap food items but your fancy schmancy wrappings probably cost
> as much if not more than that fercocktah garbage chicken (not to
> mention time and effort). Cut up chicken is ALWAYS mystery meat

Rant deleted but you seriously need to check out energy star ratings for
modern units. Also the bags are 3cents each bought in bulk and go over the
inner one so the outer one is reused (I keep them in a box in the freezer
and use them next as inner wrapper).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" wrote

> Perhaps he's at risk for low blood pressure?

LOL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> cshenk wrote:

> > > You're most probably wasting more money on energy for the freezer
> > > than you saving with the purchase of cheap meat items...

> > Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one,
> > tend to *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to
> > run one.
> > I know how to properly wrap for long storage so I can use this unit
> > very well to save quite a bit on the collective budget even adding
> > it the cost to run it.
> >

> Don't worry your head about it, Carol. Greg has a knee-jerk reaction
> to anything and everything posted by "cybercat". Why he doesn't just
> use a killfile is a mystery.

Perhaps he's at risk for low blood pressure?

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://clerkfuturist.wordpress.com
mirror 1: http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
mirror 2: http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote

>>> She got 4 packs so it's about 20 lbs at 1.50 roughly each for a whopping
>>> cost of 6$

>> The more I save the more I can donate to the food bank and elsewhere.

> Good! As you may recall, I do this too. Not as much now that it's warmer
> (they don't need as much)
>
>> I consider getting the best value I can a moral imperative. And I enjoy
>> it.
>> I don't often do things I don't enjoy.

> I do it because I enjoy having extra money around, which I can use for
> whatever I want.

Oh, that too! There are so many things I would rather spend money on than
food. This is one reason I don't eat out much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
use.com...
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:
>> > "Gregory Morrow" wrote

>> > Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one,
>> > tend to *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to
>> > run one.
>> > I know how to properly wrap for long storage so I can use this unit
>> > very well to save quite a bit on the collective budget even adding
>> > it the cost to run it.
>> >

>> Don't worry your head about it, Carol. Greg has a knee-jerk reaction
>> to anything and everything posted by "cybercat". Why he doesn't just
>> use a killfile is a mystery.

> Perhaps he's at risk for low blood pressure?

hahaha! Always glad to provide a service.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote
>
>>> And pork has been so inexpensive lately (Chicawgo) that I don't have
>>> to scrimp on lowly chicken legs in order to afford some nice chops
>>> or a roast or whatever...
>>>

>> I've no idea why "cybercat" would post this just for me LOL I
>> haven't bought chicken leg quarters in at least 20 years. Besides,
>> chicken isn't

> She's probably just trying to remind you of a favorite <g>.

Hardly. I wouldn't see a thing she posts if people didn't quote her in
replies.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote
>
> >> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one, tend
> >> *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to run one.

> >> I know how to properly wrap for long storage

> > Not only does it cost more to own/operate a freezer than the savings
> > from cheap food items but your fancy schmancy wrappings probably cost
> > as much if not more than that fercocktah garbage chicken (not to
> > mention time and effort). �Cut up chicken is ALWAYS mystery meat

> Rant deleted.

Hmm, no rant... that's why you deleted it... you're ascared of facts
that oppose your myths. And I didn't even get into the imbeciles who
freeze costly tender beef cuts, thereby ruining them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> cshenk wrote:

> >> You're most probably wasting more money on energy for the freezer
> >> than you saving with the purchase of cheap meat items...

> > Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one,
> > tend to *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to
> > run one.
> > I know how to properly wrap for long storage so I can use this unit
> > very well to save quite a bit on the collective budget even adding it
> > the cost to run it.

> Don't worry your head about it, Carol. *Greg has a knee-jerk reaction to
> anything and everything posted by "cybercat". *Why he doesn't just use a
> killfile is a mystery.

Cybercat likes to follow me around making snarky comments, Jill, so I
figger I I'll provide a l'il amusement in her apparently boring
life...

I go in - and - out with killfilling the cyberthang...methinks it's
time to soon "pull out" with her, if ya catch my drift...

The last time we did the go - round with the "amazing" grocery prices
cyberthang posted, many of us (Sqwertz, Lou D., Sheldone, etc.) chimed
in with examples of even lower prices, etc...

"The dogs bark, the circus moves on...", as they say...

:-)

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:34:33 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Sheldon" wrote
>
>>> Completely and totally wrong Greg but people who have never had one, tend
>>> *ass*ume many things, including severely inflated costs to run one.
>>>
>>> I know how to properly wrap for long storage

>> Not only does it cost more to own/operate a freezer than the savings
>> from cheap food items but your fancy schmancy wrappings probably cost
>> as much if not more than that fercocktah garbage chicken (not to
>> mention time and effort). Cut up chicken is ALWAYS mystery meat

>Rant deleted but you seriously need to check out energy star ratings for
>modern units. Also the bags are 3cents each bought in bulk and go over the
>inner one so the outer one is reused (I keep them in a box in the freezer
>and use them next as inner wrapper).

it sometimes seems like all meat is a mystery to sheldon.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote
>>"Sheldon" wrote

>>Rant deleted but you seriously need to check out energy star ratings for
>>modern units. Also the bags are 3cents each bought in bulk and go over
>>the
>>inner one so the outer one is reused (I keep them in a box in the freezer
>>and use them next as inner wrapper).

> it sometimes seems like all meat is a mystery to sheldon.

hehehe! Yeah, but he *does* have some good ideas sometimes. He's just not
aware (or doesnt desire) of how to properly store things so they are still
'good eats'.

I've seen lots of people who think the store thin 'saran wrap' is enough to
just dump something in a freezer with. Perhaps he's more used to that sort
of freezing so isnt aware the difference a vacumn sealed unit or a properly
sealed other sort of airtight (zip lock etc) container makes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 10, 8:32*am, blake murphy > wrote:

> >"Sheldon" wrote

> ...[snip]...Cut up chicken is ALWAYS mystery meat
>>

> it sometimes seems like all meat is a mystery to sheldon.

You can't deny his oft-stated point that buying chicken pieces means
you have no idea about the condition/health/age of the chickens from
which the pieces came. But that's not my main bitch about buying "leg
quarters." What I don't like is that they aren't just drumsticks and
thighs, but instead always include parts of the lower back, the most
useless part of the bird. Then you have to cut the thigh away from the
back scrap, an operation that is clumsier than properly cutting up a
whole chicken in the first place. All in all, I much prefer to buy a
whole chicken on sale and cut it up into the pieces I like. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:59:04 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Apr 10, 8:32*am, blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>> >"Sheldon" wrote

>> ...[snip]...Cut up chicken is ALWAYS mystery meat
>>>

>> it sometimes seems like all meat is a mystery to sheldon.
>>

>You can't deny his oft-stated point that buying chicken pieces means
>you have no idea about the condition/health/age of the chickens from
>which the pieces came. But that's not my main bitch about buying "leg
>quarters." What I don't like is that they aren't just drumsticks and
>thighs, but instead always include parts of the lower back, the most
>useless part of the bird. Then you have to cut the thigh away from the
>back scrap, an operation that is clumsier than properly cutting up a
>whole chicken in the first place. All in all, I much prefer to buy a
>whole chicken on sale and cut it up into the pieces I like. -aem

i don't often see the leg quarters where i shop (giant, in md.) the
drumsticks and thighs are most often packed separately for some
reason.

your pal,
blake