Richard Hertz

Default Cooking bananas?

MEow wrote:
> In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
> seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
> completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
> find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
> have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?
>
> Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
> other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?

Those are plantains. They're more starchy than bananas; they won't
sweeten as they ripen, but they shouldn't be used while dark green. Wait
until they turn yellow, then slice through the peel lengthwise on 2-3
sides. Cut the plaintains into about 1/2" slices and fry until browned.
You can oven-fry them by coating the slices with a little oil and baking
at medium-high heat until browned. They can also be cooked in curries or
other dishes like you'd use potatoes.