MEow

Default Cooking bananas?

In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?

Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?

TYVMIA
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Jonathan Ball

MEow wrote:

> In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
> seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
> completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
> find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
> have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?
>
> Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
> other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?

What you saw were probably plantains.

Andrew Ward

"MEow" > wrote in message
> In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
> seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
> completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
> find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
> have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?
>
> Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
> other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?
>
> TYVMIA
> --
> Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
> ICQ# 251532856
> Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
> "Benighted lot, them RLers." Sn!pe (Sheddie)

When I was in Western Samoa a couple of years ago we had these at the
resort.
From what I can remember they were just ordinary underripe bananas which
they threw into the underground oven.

Michael Balarama

"MEow" > wrote in message
> In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
> seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
> completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
> find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
> have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?
>
> Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
> other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?

Heard Elvis Presley's favorite thing was fried bananas and peanut butter
sandwiches...
only rumor
Michael

> TYVMIA
> --
> Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
> ICQ# 251532856
> Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
> "Benighted lot, them RLers." Sn!pe (Sheddie)

Rubystars

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message

> "MEow" > wrote in message
> > In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
> > seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
> > completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
> > find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
> > have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?
> >
> > Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
> > other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?

> Heard Elvis Presley's favorite thing was fried bananas and peanut butter
> sandwiches...
> only rumor
> Michael

Those are good sandwiches too.

1. Butter two pieces of bread, make a sandwich like structure buttered side
out (or butter both sides if you really want it fatty) with, I suppose,
vegan margarine in this group.

2. Slather smoothe peanut butter liberally on both slices with a butter
knife on the part of the bread that's going to be inside and put slices of
ripe banana between them.

3. Grill it in a skillet to brown it on both sides like you would a grilled
cheese sandwich. Flip it with a spatula.

4. Cut into desired shape (diagonal is good) and then enjoy.

Warning: Too many of these could cause a heart attack or other bad health
effects, eat at your own risk!

-Rubystars

Creature

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:04:01 -0600, Michael Balarama wrote:
> Heard Elvis Presley's favorite thing was fried bananas and peanut butter
> sandwiches...

Do a google groups search for "Vegan Elvis". The ever-wonderful MrFalafel
posted a set of Elvis-style recipies a while back - certainly including
fried peanut butter sandwiches, and possibly including the banana ones.

--
Alex Pounds (Creature) .~. LGBTSoc Comms Person
CS2 Student /V\ Website working group chair
Michael Balarama

"Rubystars" > wrote in message

> "Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
> >
> > "MEow" > wrote in message
> > > In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
> > > seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
> > > completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
> > > find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
> > > have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?
> > >
> > > Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
> > > other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?

> > Heard Elvis Presley's favorite thing was fried bananas and peanut butter
> > sandwiches...
> > only rumor
> > Michael

> Those are good sandwiches too.
>
> 1. Butter two pieces of bread, make a sandwich like structure buttered

side
> out (or butter both sides if you really want it fatty) with, I suppose,
> vegan margarine in this group.
>
> 2. Slather smoothe peanut butter liberally on both slices with a butter
> knife on the part of the bread that's going to be inside and put slices of
> ripe banana between them.
>
> 3. Grill it in a skillet to brown it on both sides like you would a

grilled
> cheese sandwich. Flip it with a spatula.
>
> 4. Cut into desired shape (diagonal is good) and then enjoy.
>
> Warning: Too many of these could cause a heart attack or other bad health
> effects, eat at your own risk!
>
> -Rubystars

thank you thank you very much

Richard Hertz

MEow wrote:
> In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
> seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
> completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
> find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
> have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?
>
> Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
> other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?

Those are plantains. They're more starchy than bananas; they won't
sweeten as they ripen, but they shouldn't be used while dark green. Wait
until they turn yellow, then slice through the peel lengthwise on 2-3
sides. Cut the plaintains into about 1/2" slices and fry until browned.
You can oven-fry them by coating the slices with a little oil and baking
at medium-high heat until browned. They can also be cooked in curries or
other dishes like you'd use potatoes.

Michael Balarama

"Richard Hertz" > wrote in message
> MEow wrote:
> > In the local supermarket the other day I noticed something I've never
> > seen befo "Cooking bananas" is what they were called, and they were
> > completely green bananas. I didn't get around to check the label, to
> > find out if I would buy them or not, but before I do: do any of you
> > have any cooking advice, or recipes using cooking bananas?
> >
> > Is there any difference between cooking bananas and ordinary bananas,
> > other than ordinary bananas being more ripe?

> Those are plantains. They're more starchy than bananas; they won't
> sweeten as they ripen, but they shouldn't be used while dark green. Wait
> until they turn yellow, then slice through the peel lengthwise on 2-3
> sides. Cut the plaintains into about 1/2" slices and fry until browned.
> You can oven-fry them by coating the slices with a little oil and baking
> at medium-high heat until browned. They can also be cooked in curries or
> other dishes like you'd use potatoes.

thanks-I ate allot of plantains in the Philippines-the vegetarians used it
in all their preps-never did like it that much...It was a small green
banana..that grew all over the place..

Rubystars

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message
<snip>
> thank you thank you very much

You're welcome very much.

-Rubystars

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Richard Hertz of Road
Runner - Texas said:

>Those are plantains. They're more starchy than bananas; they won't
>sweeten as they ripen, but they shouldn't be used while dark green. Wait
>until they turn yellow, then slice through the peel lengthwise on 2-3
>sides. Cut the plaintains into about 1/2" slices and fry until browned.
>You can oven-fry them by coating the slices with a little oil and baking
>at medium-high heat until browned. They can also be cooked in curries or
>other dishes like you'd use potatoes.

Thanks. Knowing what they're called also helps me search for more
recipes, should I need, and/or want to.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"NTTNMESWT?" Till (afdaniain)

Go Bananas! Judy Haffner General Cooking 58 10-05-2013 10:16 PM
Bananas... ChattyCathy General Cooking 48 18-10-2009 08:25 AM
Bananas Margaret Suran General Cooking 5 04-09-2006 03:43 PM
Bananas Bob Terwilliger General Cooking 0 04-09-2006 06:24 AM