Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Continuing disasters

What a week. Last week the drain line from my sump pump was backing up.
I did a half assed job to get it cleaned out last week but the ground
was still covered in snow and the ground frozen. I was able to dig a
whole and remove a section to let it drain into the hole and across the
line, but had to wait until Monday to get it properly cleared.

Yesterday the washing machine was not filling. I occasionally get a
buildup of sand in the inline mesh filtre thanks to sandy well water.
It is a bitch of a job to get that line on and off, but I managed. The
water seemed to be running much faster than it has for months.
Meanwhile, my wide advised me that the sump pump line was leaking.
Simple fix... just tighten up the connection.

This morning I was out raking up branches and my wife came running out
to tell me that washing machine had overflowed. Not only did it flood
the laundry room, but it was dripping down into the basement and on top
of the furnace.

So off I go to the basement to clean up the mess down there. All I had
to do was squeeggee the water over to the steps and into the lower paart
of the cellar where the sump pump is. That was when I discovered that
when I tightened the union connection I had rotated the pump just enough
that the float switch jammed on the side of the sump hole, preventing it
from rising with the water in the sump. So I had 6 inches of water down
there. Luckily the drain line had been cleaned out and 15 minutes later
the water was gone. Now the fan is running to help dry it up down there.

So as soon as that was done I headed into town to my friend's furniture
and appliance store to get a new washer. The old one is 15 years old and
my wife has been complaining about it for the last year. I bought new
energy efficient front loaded. It is supposed to use less energy, less
water and less detergent.

It's early afternoon. I wonder what else can go wrong today.