Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Sushi chefs warn on side-effects of raw fish boom

Musashi wrote on Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:32:44 -0400:

M> That's very true. But of course those are the issues that
M> all farming, whether aquatic or
M> land based must address. The Farmed vs. Wild Salmon debate
M> (read: war) in the US/Canada
M> would have one believing that all farming is a complete
M> disaster. I think that while perhaps not wholly
M> incorrect, it may be an exaggeration.
M> The Hamachi we eat is all farmed. Japan has been farming
M> Yellowtail since the late 1960s.
M> Today even Australia exports farmed Hamachi.

What's the situation on abalone these days? I first tried and
loved it just before it began to be scarce as its popularity
climbed. Twelve years ago, I saw a documentary on farming
abalone at the University of Hawaii, I believe.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not