Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi[_2_] Musashi[_2_] is offline

Default Sushi chefs warn on side-effects of raw fish boom

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote in message

>>> Tuna? They say the oceans will be depleted by 2051. We'll probable
>>> have
>>> farm raised tuna still, but at what price. I may live longer enough to
>>> see
>>> this happen, although 43 years is a long time.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dan

>> The standard practice has been, and remains, to net small wild Bluefin
>> Tuna and raise them in captive pens
>> fatttening them up for the market. However a few years ago a university
>> fish research facility
>> in Japan succeded in extracting Bluefin Tuna eggs, fertilizing them and
>> actually hatching Bluefin Tuna
>> in captivity. This technology over last few years while still rare, has
>> been so succcesful that the University
>> authorized the sales of the excess farm stocks to supplement their
>> income. I predict that that this is an
>> indicator of the farm-born/farm-rasied tuna we may all be eating in the
>> future.
>> Musashi
>>

> As a lover of tuna, whether in sushi or not, I hope it works. However, the
> same problems as face farmed salmon will have to be overcome, lack of
> taste, disease at the farm and disease spreading to the surrounding
> waters.
>
> Jim Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

That's very true. But of course those are the issues that all farming,
whether aquatic or
land based must address. The Farmed vs. Wild Salmon debate (read: war) in
the US/Canada
would have one believing that all farming is a complete disaster. I think
that while perhaps not wholly
incorrect, it may be an exaggeration.
The Hamachi we eat is all farmed. Japan has been farming Yellowtail since
the late 1960s.
Today even Australia exports farmed Hamachi.

thinking that every