Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher[_1_] Dan Logcher[_1_] is offline

Default Sushi chefs warn on side-effects of raw fish boom

Musashi wrote:

>>>Health issues are minor side-effects compared to extinction of tuna.
>>>
>>>A few years ago I quit buying tuna altogether, fresh or canned, and I
>>>wish you all would do the same. I've made sushi at home regulairily
>>>about 20 years now and I really would not like to serve my guests 'the
>>>last piece of tuna'.

>>Tuna? They say the oceans will be depleted by 2051. We'll probable have
>>farm raised tuna still, but at what price. I may live longer enough to
>>see
>>this happen, although 43 years is a long time.
>>
>>--
>>Dan

> The standard practice has been, and remains, to net small wild Bluefin Tuna
> and raise them in captive pens
> fatttening them up for the market. However a few years ago a university fish
> research facility
> in Japan succeded in extracting Bluefin Tuna eggs, fertilizing them and
> actually hatching Bluefin Tuna
> in captivity. This technology over last few years while still rare, has been
> so succcesful that the University
> authorized the sales of the excess farm stocks to supplement their income. I
> predict that that this is an
> indicator of the farm-born/farm-rasied tuna we may all be eating in the
> future.

Yeah, farmed tuna are caught and fattened.. but they will need to raised
them from egg or they will go extinct. They do this for sea turtles in the
Cayman Islands. Most of them are used for food, some are released to help
keep up the numbers of wild turtles.

--
Dan