Jon Janssen

Default "The production of my beef promotes no CDs. Period." Rick Etter

"Ipse dixit" > wrote in message
> Here's the absolute denial we've all been waiting for.
> Rick Etter firmly believes that no animals die during
> the production of his grass fed beef.
>
> [start Ipse dixit]
> > Then tell me how many collateral deaths are associated
> > with the grass fed beef you eat. After that tell me if you
> > accept that the *general* production, storage, and
> > distribution of grass fed beef accumulates any collateral
> > deaths.

> ============================
> Why? The production of my beef promotes no CDs. Period.
> [end]
>
> This is a strange claim indeed for someone who
> spends hours a day trying to convince everyone
> their food is responsible for them, and that the
> electricity they use to post here causes them, but
> what's even more strange is the silence from Dutch,
> Jonathan Ball and Usual Suspect while he denies
> the facts behind his food. As I said earlier, "The
> CD argument holds a double standard", and Rick
> has helped me prove it.

The idea has some points... small scale food production, even animals, does
cause much less CDs.
It's not the easiest topic, but for sure, in terms of CDs factory farming
causes the most and is a clear thing to reduce or eliminate.

Hunting and grass-fed cattle seem to cause "few" CDs.... tho a more
important point may be..... factory farms, specifically pigs and chickens
and hens and calves (a side-effect of the dairy industry) clearly restrict
the animals and cause them pain and suffering, and also cause among the
largest amount of CDs...

There are some big differences between animals killed collaterally, and
animals raised to be killed (freedom of choice and movement and associating
with natural family units is a big one), tho maybe the whole food issue
isn't as black and white in *some* ways.... but it sure is clear in others.

I say let's focus on the sure things that cause the most suffering. As for
people who aren't interested in helping, i say leave them be... they'll only
take away and divert your energy and time and effort from more important
things, imo.

Jon

i gathered a lot of CD info on 2 of the links here..
http://www.geocities.com/holist2002/menu.html