Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz Sqwertz is offline

Default Gluring together corn tortillas?

Goomba38 <Goomba38 >> wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
>> fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork and
>> cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.
>>
>> How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?

> As a kid in Texas we'd use toothpicks. Not perfect, but worked well enough.

I quickly dismissed the toothpick idea before I posted. The
tortilla will rip (I want to fill it out pretty well), and it
wouldn't lay flat int he pan. Plus I don't see it making that good
of a seal.

I didn't feel like mucking with it tonight, but I have the pork all
cooked up and ready to go tomorrow for lunch. I already had a dozen
tostadas fried up and used those tonight. I'm going to try 1 each
of a cornstarch slurry, and egg white. Then a third one using both
of them.

The price of corn tortillas hasn't gone up at all here. Still $1.69
for 5 dozen white corn tortillas (about 2.5lbs?)

-sw