Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gluring together corn tortillas?

I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork and
cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.

How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?

Jack in the Box has a device that clamps them shut when they put
them into the deep fryer. But that would be a little overkill
unless I have a big deep fryer (and the clamp).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 25 Mar 2008 03:41:49p, Sqwertz told us...

> I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
> fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork and
> cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.
>
> How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?
>
> Jack in the Box has a device that clamps them shut when they put
> them into the deep fryer. But that would be a little overkill
> unless I have a big deep fryer (and the clamp).
>
> -sw

Egg white and a bit of pressure til it sticks.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 03(III)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
> fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork and
> cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.
>
> How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?

As a kid in Texas we'd use toothpicks. Not perfect, but worked well enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
> fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork and
> cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.
>
> How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?
>
> Jack in the Box has a device that clamps them shut when they put
> them into the deep fryer. But that would be a little overkill
> unless I have a big deep fryer (and the clamp).
>
> -sw

I'd try beaten egg; you may want to moisten the corn tortilla a bit along
the edges where you fold it first.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
> fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork
> and cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.
>
> How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?

More cheese? Perhaps egg, but melted cheese would be
more sticky -- more similar to a pressure-sensitive
adhesive than a setting adhesive.

Failing that, numerous toothpicks might be a more
reliable alternative.

> Jack in the Box has a device that clamps them shut when they put
> them into the deep fryer. But that would be a little overkill
> unless I have a big deep fryer (and the clamp).

I don't suppose you can link to a picture.
That clamp sounds like something I need for
my collection.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

>> Jack in the Box has a device that clamps them shut when they put
>> them into the deep fryer. But that would be a little overkill
>> unless I have a big deep fryer (and the clamp).

> I don't suppose you can link to a picture.
> That clamp sounds like something I need for
> my collection.

It's probably similar to one of those thing-a-ma-bobs that they use to
make a taco shell out of a tortilla or one of those nest things to put
taco salad in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 <Goomba38 >> wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
>> fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork and
>> cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.
>>
>> How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?

> As a kid in Texas we'd use toothpicks. Not perfect, but worked well enough.

I quickly dismissed the toothpick idea before I posted. The
tortilla will rip (I want to fill it out pretty well), and it
wouldn't lay flat int he pan. Plus I don't see it making that good
of a seal.

I didn't feel like mucking with it tonight, but I have the pork all
cooked up and ready to go tomorrow for lunch. I already had a dozen
tostadas fried up and used those tonight. I'm going to try 1 each
of a cornstarch slurry, and egg white. Then a third one using both
of them.

The price of corn tortillas hasn't gone up at all here. Still $1.69
for 5 dozen white corn tortillas (about 2.5lbs?)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
> fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork and
> cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.
>
> How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?
>
> Jack in the Box has a device that clamps them shut when they put
> them into the deep fryer. But that would be a little overkill
> unless I have a big deep fryer (and the clamp).
>
> -sw

I just use a coupla toothpicks and it puffs a little when it hits the oil to complete
the seal.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:41:49 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I want to make pan fried shredded pork tacos tonight. I need to
>fold over the tortillas to half-moon shaped and seal in the pork and
>cheese while keeping oil from entering the interior.
>
>How would you seal the rounded edge of the tortilla?
>
>Jack in the Box has a device that clamps them shut when they put
>them into the deep fryer. But that would be a little overkill
>unless I have a big deep fryer (and the clamp).

I use a pair of the old fashioned small metal tongs to hold down the
edges of the tortillas until they seal in the hot oil. It takes a bit
of work and you don't prevent all the oil from entering the interior
but with a bit of practice you improve. Other than a purpose built
device, ou are going to be improvising. Dry tortillas don't seal
willingly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jed <Jed >> wrote:

> I use a pair of the old fashioned small metal tongs to hold down the
> edges of the tortillas until they seal in the hot oil. It takes a bit
> of work and you don't prevent all the oil from entering the interior
> but with a bit of practice you improve. Other than a purpose built
> device, ou are going to be improvising. Dry tortillas don't seal
> willingly.

I was thinking of using the rim of a metal bowl slightly smaller
than a tortilla and placing that around the edges of two folded
tortillas at a time. I do seem to reacll that they did stick
together eventually, but with some frustration a couple a of times.
Maybe that's where the 'dry' factor you mentioned came into play.

Thanks for the inspiration :-) I really don't want to use egg or
cornstarch.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Jed <Jed >> wrote:
>
> > I use a pair of the old fashioned small metal tongs to hold down the
> > edges of the tortillas until they seal in the hot oil. It takes a bit
> > of work and you don't prevent all the oil from entering the interior
> > but with a bit of practice you improve. Other than a purpose built
> > device, ou are going to be improvising. Dry tortillas don't seal
> > willingly.

> I was thinking of using the rim of a metal bowl slightly smaller
> than a tortilla and placing that around the edges of two folded
> tortillas at a time. I do seem to reacll that they did stick
> together eventually, but with some frustration a couple a of times.
> Maybe that's where the 'dry' factor you mentioned came into play.
>
> Thanks for the inspiration :-) I really don't want to use egg or
> cornstarch.
>
> -sw

You could also try one of those larger-size dumpling presses (like for
for pot-stickers). Place the (softened) tortilla on the inside of the
press, fill and squeeze it shut. Maybe wet the edges with a little water
first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in :

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Jed <Jed >> wrote:
>>
>> > I use a pair of the old fashioned small metal tongs to hold down the
>> > edges of the tortillas until they seal in the hot oil. It takes a

bit
>> > of work and you don't prevent all the oil from entering the interior
>> > but with a bit of practice you improve. Other than a purpose built
>> > device, ou are going to be improvising. Dry tortillas don't seal
>> > willingly.

>> I was thinking of using the rim of a metal bowl slightly smaller
>> than a tortilla and placing that around the edges of two folded
>> tortillas at a time. I do seem to reacll that they did stick
>> together eventually, but with some frustration a couple a of times.
>> Maybe that's where the 'dry' factor you mentioned came into play.
>>
>> Thanks for the inspiration :-) I really don't want to use egg or
>> cornstarch.
>>
>> -sw

> You could also try one of those larger-size dumpling presses (like for
> for pot-stickers). Place the (softened) tortilla on the inside of the
> press, fill and squeeze it shut. Maybe wet the edges with a little

water
> first.

Aren't there teeny roller gizmos for this? Put in the filling, moisten
the dough and use the roller gizmo to pinch it closed.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> Arri London > wrote in
> :
>

>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I was thinking of using the rim of a metal bowl slightly smaller
>>> than a tortilla and placing that around the edges of two folded
>>> tortillas at a time. I do seem to reacll that they did stick
>>> together eventually, but with some frustration a couple a of times.
>>> Maybe that's where the 'dry' factor you mentioned came into play.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the inspiration :-) I really don't want to use egg or
>>> cornstarch.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> You could also try one of those larger-size dumpling presses (like
>> for for pot-stickers). Place the (softened) tortilla on the inside
>> of the press, fill and squeeze it shut. Maybe wet the edges with a
>> little water first.
>>

> Aren't there teeny roller gizmos for this? Put in the filling, moisten
> the dough and use the roller gizmo to pinch it closed.
>
> --

I think so, but the problem here is 'corn' tortillas. It doesn't seem like
the corn tortillas would respond to any sort of pinching to keep it
together.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus <hahabogus >> wrote:

> Aren't there teeny roller gizmos for this? Put in the filling, moisten
> the dough and use the roller gizmo to pinch it closed.

I don't think Zig Zag makes them big enough for taquitos.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Sqwertz wrote:

> bit
> >>
> >> I was thinking of using the rim of a metal bowl slightly smaller
> >> than a tortilla and placing that around the edges of two folded
> >> tortillas at a time. I do seem to reacll that they did stick
> >> together eventually, but with some frustration a couple a of times.
> >> Maybe that's where the 'dry' factor you mentioned came into play.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the inspiration :-) I really don't want to use egg or
> >> cornstarch.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > You could also try one of those larger-size dumpling presses (like for
> > for pot-stickers). Place the (softened) tortilla on the inside of the
> > press, fill and squeeze it shut. Maybe wet the edges with a little

> water
> > first.
> >

> Aren't there teeny roller gizmos for this? Put in the filling, moisten
> the dough and use the roller gizmo to pinch it closed.
>
> --

Probably. But we don't have one of *those*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in :

> hahabogus wrote:
>>
>> Arri London > wrote in
>> :

>> bit

>> > You could also try one of those larger-size dumpling presses (like
>> > for for pot-stickers). Place the (softened) tortilla on the inside
>> > of the press, fill and squeeze it shut. Maybe wet the edges with a
>> > little

>> water
>> > first.
>> >

>> Aren't there teeny roller gizmos for this? Put in the filling,
>> moisten the dough and use the roller gizmo to pinch it closed.
>>
>> --
>>

> Probably. But we don't have one of *those*

Got hot wheels toy car? a possible substitute.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in news:Xns9A6FE91F92045hahabogus@
69.28.186.120:

@ic.ac.uk:

>> hahabogus wrote:
>>>
>>> Arri London > wrote in
>>> :

>>> bit

>>> water
>>> >

>>> Aren't there teeny roller gizmos for this? Put in the filling,
>>> moisten the dough and use the roller gizmo to pinch it closed.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> Probably. But we don't have one of *those*
>>

> Got hot wheels toy car? a possible substitute.

or a metal 1/4 tsp to slide under pressure to seal the edge.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> hahabogus > wrote in news:Xns9A6FE91F92045hahabogus@
> 69.28.186.120:
>
> > Arri London > wrote in news:47ED8FC6.5A622057

> >> Probably. But we don't have one of *those*
> >>

> > Got hot wheels toy car? a possible substitute.
> >

> or a metal 1/4 tsp to slide under pressure to seal the edge.
>
> --

Not that I'm trying to do this, but perhaps flattening out the *raw*
masa, filling it and then squeezing it shut before frying?

Homemade corn tortillas koko General Cooking 4 16-11-2010 09:33 AM
Soft corn tortillas [email protected] General Cooking 6 17-10-2006 08:16 PM
Blue Corn Tortillas raylee821 General Cooking 6 31-07-2005 12:46 AM
Baja Corn Tortillas Jeff Lane Diabetic 1 09-06-2005 03:59 AM
Cooking Corn Tortillas chiaroscuro Mexican Cooking 9 02-12-2004 05:45 PM