Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default Another memory from my childhood in Scotland

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:07:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>It Wuznie Me wrote:
>
>> I remember eating Scottish scones in Scotland. Unlike the scones in
>> England, these were wedge shaped and, I believe, not as sweet. They
>> were thick enough to be split in half and we ate them with butter and
>> jam as with the English ones. Does anyone else remembere them?

>My mother and both my grandmothers baked scones. I don't remember them
>being sweet. They often put raisins or currants in them, and we add them
>with butter and jam, or with whipped cream. I occasionally buy a scone in
>coffee shops, but I find them terribly sweet, not at all like the scones
>I grew up on.

I dislike grocery store and coffee shop scones intensely. You might
as well suck on a sugar cube. We used to have a place down the street
that made fabulous scones, some of them were *not* common, like the
jalapeno flavor.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first