Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default New breadmaker, different procedure.

In article >,
Adam Funk > wrote:

> I just got a new breadmaker (Panasonic) and noticed two pecularities
> in the instructions (compared with the old one's).
>

> (1a) The old instructions said (when using the delay timer) to put the
> liquids, salt and sugar in, then the flour, and finally the yeast
> on top, to keep the yeast separate until the mixing starts.
>
> (1b) The new ones say to put the yeast in the bottom, cover it with
> the flour, and then put everything else, including the liquids,
> on top, to keep the yeast separate until the mixing starts.
>
> To me, (a) seems more intuitively correct, but I've been
> following (b) with the new one for several batches and had good
> results. Any opinions?

My opinion is to follow the prep instructions for the breadmaker you
have. There have always been variations from maker to maker, some
putting the yeast in first, others putting the yeast in later. **Follow
the manufacturer's instructions.** (Especially if you like the results
you're getting.)

> (2) The instructions for the new one specifically say to wash the
> inside of the pan only, and not to immerse it, so obviously it
> can't go in the dishwasher. (The old one went in the dishwasher
> every time; to be fair, I replaced the pan twice in four years
> because the spindle started getting loose, but I don't think the
> dishwasher was the cause and I'm sure I read the instructions
> before I started doing it.)
>
> Is this a common restriction on new breadmakers?

I don't know. I've been making no-knead recipes for a month.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor