Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default New breadmaker, different procedure.

Adam Funk wrote:
> I just got a new breadmaker (Panasonic) and noticed two pecularities
> in the instructions (compared with the old one's).
>

> (1a) The old instructions said (when using the delay timer) to put the
> liquids, salt and sugar in, then the flour, and finally the yeast
> on top, to keep the yeast separate until the mixing starts.
>
> (1b) The new ones say to put the yeast in the bottom, cover it with
> the flour, and then put everything else, including the liquids,
> on top, to keep the yeast separate until the mixing starts.
>
> To me, (a) seems more intuitively correct, but I've been
> following (b) with the new one for several batches and had good
> results. Any opinions?
>

> (2) The instructions for the new one specifically say to wash the
> inside of the pan only, and not to immerse it, so obviously it
> can't go in the dishwasher. (The old one went in the dishwasher
> every time; to be fair, I replaced the pan twice in four years
> because the spindle started getting loose, but I don't think the
> dishwasher was the cause and I'm sure I read the instructions
> before I started doing it.)
>
> Is this a common restriction on new breadmakers?

I'm on my third breadmaker and all of them had the same restriction,
wash pan by hand, inside only, not to go in the dishwasher. I took a pan
on one of the old ones apart to see how it worked. The spindle is
gasketed where it goes through the pan wall at the bottom and is lightly
oiled at the factory. I assume from this that dishwasher use in cleaning
the pan destroys the gasket, the spindle gets wobbly, there is leakage
at the spindle and it gets worse from there.

I can't comment on the method of Delay baking as I've never used it.
I've been a House Husband since December 1991 and don't need no stinking
delay. <VBG>

George