Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Shen[_2_] Shen[_2_] is offline

Default Best Online Store for Chinese Teas (ship to US)?

On Mar 5, 3:47*am, "Alton B. Wilson" > wrote:
> I have placed about eight online orders over the last 5 years. *Probably
> 3 through Adagio, 2 through Upton, 1 Teaspring, 1 Generation Tea and 1
> through Green Tea Store.
>
> Based only on service, speed of delivery and website I would say my best
> experience has been with Adagio and Upton. *The delivery speed of Adagio
> and Upton is fast and the communication is good, using their "standard
> delivery" (ordered from both on a Sunday afternoon, minutes apart and
> received the samples 3 business days later within hours apart. *(My
> shipping location is southwest Ohio) Upton's website is good for
> information on tea.
>
> I have an existing order from Teaspring; and I have been waiting now 8
> business days for standard delivery (I know it is from Calif, but it is
> getting to be too long of wait for me to consider this good service, but
> it is only my first order from them).
>
> I don't think Adagio has a lot of Chinese reds, but they do have a few
> whites and darjeelings. *I think you will have better luck with your
> selection if you try Upton (http://www.uptontea.com/) [ TO KEEP THE
> THREAD POLICE HAPPY, THIS IS NOT A SCAM ]
>
> Alton
>

> 5tein wrote:
> > What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
> > have used several with varying outcomes.

> > BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
> > are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
> > learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.

> > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

TeaSpring is extremely reliable and, in general, really good tea for
the price.
I order from them frequently and can vouch for the quality. I am in
California and their tea arrives, most often, in two weeks. They know
their tea and strive for top quality and the shipping is extremely
reasonable. Adagio, in my opinion, is just over-priced for very
ordinary tea. Upton is great, especially for "English" tea drinkers. I
just prefer the variety available in the Chinese tea businesses.
Sebastien at Jing's will "special order" for you anything you prefer.
In regard to "thread police", I have only been on this board a little
more than two years; but, during that time, many folks have post to
advertise what is generally a pretty lousy selection of over-priced
junk - everything from cracked "antique" phony-baloney teapots to pu-
erh made to look aged.
It's just my suspicious nature - I'm one of those who tends to
question authority. Anyway, this guy obviously meant no harm nor had
covert attentions. Enough said.
Shen