Posted to alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.historic
Lee Rudolph Lee Rudolph is offline

Default horehound candies (was, "Spotted Dick back on menu")

Jerry Avins > writes:

>Val wrote:

>> Jerry! did that pun really go over your head???

>Of course not. The word came to Louisiana through the French "poutain"

"putain" (round those lips for a kiss on the first syllable)

>and was there corrupted to "poon tang" which, in keeping with the
>region's racist past, took on a more specific connotation. Still, no
>olives in hoe cake. :-)

And, whatever certain "party records" of the past might have claimed
(the name Redd Foxx springs to mind, perhaps wrongly), no such breakfast
drink as Prune Tang, either.

....To continue the thread on a more affirmative foodish note, my
paternal grandmother's fifth and last husband was a great fan of
horehound candies. At the time I thought they tasted perfectly
foul; I don't know what I'd think of them now, but I certainly
haven't seen them for sale in the last 50 years or so.

Lee Rudolph