Posted to rec.food.cooking
Hairy Hairy is offline

Default Removing Baked-on Oil from Pans

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
news:LcBtj.104$kD3.13@trnddc08...
> Hairy wrote on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:15:20 -0600:
>

> H> "Greg Esres" > wrote in message

> ??>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from
> ??>> aluminum pans, I found the advice mainly consisted of
> ??>> "elbow grease". However, I found that a spray-on product
> ??>> called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in removing oil
> ??>> residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper towel.
> ??>> The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
> ??>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can
> ??>> is over 10 years old, so I don't know if the brand is
> ??>> still made any more, but surely some other similar spray
> ??>> uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not effective.)
>
> H> Xylol is a paint thinner/solvent. I believe I've seen it at
> H> Menard's, recently.
>
> I was a little concerned about xylol (old name, more correctly xylene)
> since it is closely related chemically to benzene. Fortunately, tho' I
> wouldn't use it without proper ventilation, it does not appear to be a
> carcinogen.
>
> James Silverton

We stopped using it at least 15 years ago because, if I remember correctly,
Osha determined that some people develop a sensitivity to it over time.
I used it daily, without gloves, for more than 15 years with no ill effects.
We now use water based coating products instead of solvent based paints.

Dave