Musashi

Default Does miso need refrigeration?

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
>
> > "werewolf" > wrote in message
> > om...

> > Maybe doesn't "need" so much due to high salt content.
> > However, once opened, yes everybody in Japan puts it
> > in the refrigerator. Would recommend you do likewise.

> Even in the fridge it seems to darken a bit, and dry out
> after some time. I never seem to use enough before this
> happens.
>
> --
> Dan

There was a TV show on Japanese TV maybe a couple years ago that tested
various foods to see how long they would remain edible, or "safe" to eat.
I think "Miso" ended up being the winner with a shelf life of some many
years
and although the specimen they used had darkened and looked quite "nasty"
it was taste tasted and apart from some dehydration shown to be completely
edible.We all know Miso has been around a long time well before the advent
of
refrigeration. BTW, I think Mayonaise was good for 3 months without
refrigeration
despite having egg in it.