Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.cooking-chat
Stephanie[_3_] Stephanie[_3_] is offline

Default Recommend a top-quality slow cooker to buy? (in the UK)

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
> Stephanie wrote:

>> Viva cooking! Half the point is the variety. When I do a ham, I do it in
>> the oven with some stock, thyme, onion and whatever other flavors I want.
>> I cover it up and cook it slowly. (I am saying this because at this point
>> I could just as easily do it in the slow cooker). The flavor permeates
>> the meat in such a lovely way. My ham is never ever ever dry. (Do you
>> think I should tell my MIL how I do it? She has been asking.)

> Of course you should tell her. And tell anyone else who asks. What
> satisfaction do you get from keeping such a secret? I can't imagine that
> it's a healthy one.

I was joking. She has asked, been told, and forgotten a dozen times! I would
not hide such a thing. Why would I want to eat dry ham at her house?

> I'm rarely preachy, but you touched a sore point. I've known a few good
> cooks who held their techniques close so they would be admired above
> others. All of them, without exception, shed their friends as time went by
> and ended in bitterness. I can't say whether their aberration was the
> cause or the effect of the inward turning that eventually overcame them,
> but I suspect feedback at work. Please don't fall into their trap. Family
> life shouldn't be a contest. "My wash is whiter than yours" should be
> saved for unpleasant neighbors. If you care about such things.

Well I had not thought of it that deeply. I am not terribly competitive.