Posted to rec.food.equipment, alt.cooking-chat, uk.food+drink.misc
ship ship is offline

Default Recommend a top-quality slow cooker to buy? (in the UK)

Hi

I've just had a (potentially) brilliant idea!
I am toying with buying this slow cooker from Morphy Richards which
comes with "digital control".
> "Morphy Richards 48730 Stainless Steel Slow Cooker with digital timer"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richa...2897943&sr=8-1

The slight problem is that it is rather large capacity. Now from time
to time this will be INVALUABLE
but most days I will just be cooking for myself.
But it occurs to me that if I am just cooking for MYSELF - (e.g. I
want to cook something ready for my
lunch when I leave in the morning - maybe something that could do 2 or
3 meals...), that I could
put my food inside a smaller container (e.g. glass/clay/metal??), and
fill the gap with water.

ie. I would put the container inside the cooker (possibly raised on a
fork or something to allow water to circulate).
I could then simply boil the kettle before I go and then sling the
water into the big pot and leave for work.

[Yes if my house burns down then fine - that's a risk I'm prepared to
take]

But would it work technically? i.e. is 4 hours enough time to slow
cook a lunch?

Personally I wouldnt want to cook inside plastic because of taste and
health issues,
but I figure a solid inert container might work. I suppose one problem
could be that not enough
heat would transfer fast enough into my food - particularly if my
container was made from
clay or glass (metal would presumably conduct better - but it would
need to be coated with
something inert - e.g. teflon or enamel or something)

- Any thoughts?

Ship

P.S. And what about if cooking my EVENING MEAL - i.e. I wouldnt want
it for about 10 hours