Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger[_2_] The Ranger[_2_] is offline

Default Recommend a top-quality slow cooker to buy? (in the UK)

wrote in message
> The Ranger > wrote:
>> I use crockpots quite a bit but, while I'm not afraid to leave
>> it
>> going for extended absences, I don't leave food in it for five
>> hours before it starts cooking either. I'd be too worried about
>> whether it was safe to eat when I got home, having experienced
>> food poisoning a couple times in my life...
>>

> Not sure why you think that would be a problem. Anything that
> starts to grow is going to be killed by the heat once it starts
> cooking. Food poisoning is generally from leaving already
> cooked foods out too long, or not cooking raw food sufficiently.
> After the first couple of hours of cooking all the pathogens
> should be good and dead. As long as you don't delay the start
> long enough for putifaction to set in . . .

My answer was in response to letting the food set for a long time.
Having experience the Pah-Tee that is food poisoning, I tend to
err on the side of caution. My BIL has an iron constitution and
could probably digest plutonium without issue. I no longer have
that power-gut digestion available and things don't sit very well
if left out too long. <shrug>

De Gustabus!

The Ranger