Posted to rec.food.equipment, alt.cooking-chat
ship ship is offline

Default Recommend a top-quality slow cooker to buy? (in the UK)

On Feb 11, 9:10*pm, "Stephanie" > wrote:
> ship wrote:
> >> What kind of food are you planning to leave sitting on the counter
> >> for 12 hours before cooking? At worst that is pretty unsafe. At any
> >> temp that is going to allow your pipes not to freeze in your house,
> >> the temp is unsafe for food to be at for the duration. Even barring
> >> that, it seems a way to make sure the food tastes nasty.

> > I think in a cool-ish larder, certainly in the winter 12 hours is not
> > an unreasonable
> > length of time to leave food uncooked. Plus after cooking any actual
> > bacteria
> > will of course be killed.

> It depends what you are going to put in it, I suppose. I sure wouldn't leave
> stew beef for 12 hours. But a can of beans and some tomatoes. Well, Ok I
> still wouldn't. In my case, I would not need to leave 17 plus hours anyway,
> so the point is moot.

> >> We have more than one crockpot, depending on the size of the meal.
> >> It is key to have the pot quite full for decent cooking without
> >> burned edges.

> > Damn yes I feared that would be the case!
> > So if it's just me cooking for one or two (or three) meals then I
> > suppose
> > I'd better buy a small cooker - otherwise it sounds like the sides
> > will get
> > burnt. If the pot was heated from below I imagine that this would be
> > much
> > less of a problem, yes?

> > Ship- Hide quoted text -

One of the best stews I ever had was cooked by my uncle in the plate
warmer section of
an old Aga. I dont know what the temperature was but he brought it to
the boil on the top
and then left it there for about 2-3 DAYS.

I think you'd need to make sure you had an EVEN COOLER slow cooker for
such
long cooking periods.

That reminds me - what range of temperatures are these slow cookers
supposed to
be running at in any case? Anyone know?

Ship