Posted to rec.food.cooking
ship ship is offline

Default Recommend a top-quality slow cooker to buy? (in the UK)

dear. I know it's to protect the manufacturer in the long run. I'm
> also interested in protecting myself. Yes, yes, place it away from
> combustibles, but don't forget that the cooker is itself combustible and
> made with combustible parts. As I've already stated, I've seen what can
> happen. Don't leave the slow cooker alone for protracted lengths of time.- Hide quoted text -

If I was a manufacturer of slow cookers, I would certainly put a
warning
not to leave a cooker running unattended, but that would mainly be
because
people do the most astonnishingly stupid things and to protect from
law suits.

But where does this leave us regarding other electrical devices
e.g.
bread makers
washing machines
tumble driers
fridges
freezers
central heating
lights

In principle ANY of the above could go wrong and start a fire.

In fact if mice or rats nimble through your wiring, then your entire
house's mains would be unsafe and the chances are you wouldnt
find out until too late.

But hands up - how here actually turns off the mains every time
they leave the house. For me to turn the mains off, I have to move
the sofa, lift the carpet, open a trapdoor, find a tourch
and tiptoe across a slimey wet floor.

Is anyone out there seriously expecting me to do that every time I
leave the house?

But your story sounds extremely alarming. What exactly have you seen?
What happened, and why? And what manufacturer was it from?

Ship