Posted to rec.food.cooking
enigma[_2_] enigma[_2_] is offline

Default Recommend a top-quality slow cooker to buy? (in the UK)

Pennyaline > wrote in
:

> cshenk wrote:
>> And ignore the person who thinks you have to be home
>> tending it. You do not.

> You do. You needn't be tending it, but even the manual that
> comes with a slow cooker (you remember instruction manuals,
> don't you?) directs that it not be left unsupervised for
> during long periods in use. It's an electrical appliance,
> and anything can happen.

ah yes. the manufacturer's CYA directions.
technically, you should not have to supervise a crockpot, or
a washer, dryer, dishwasher or any other electrical appliance.
however, *every* appliance will say not to leave it on and
unsupervised. this is simply a disclaimer that anyone with a
single braincell should understand to mean that "accidents
happen & we (the manufacturer) won't take responsibility". it
does NOT mean you can't take the risk of actually *using* the
appliance as it is intended to be used, which, in the case of
a crockpot, is to be set & left alone.
do you unplug *every* device in your home that uses
electricity when you go out every day? if not, you are putting
yourself at just as much "risk" as a person who sets the
crockpot & goes out. *any* electrical device could possibly,
randomly, start a fire. a crockpot is no higher risk than
leaving the tv plugged in.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair