Posted to alt.food.wine
Mike Miller Mike Miller is offline

Default Opening a Wine Store - any store owners out there to share the experience?

In article <33a1e7f8-5a96-42e0-a176-34bb19e261b8
@b2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, says...

http://www.winefornewbies.com/

> > We had a wine shop open near by that has done well from what I can tell.
> >
> > His outlook on the shop is to not carry wines that can be bought in the
> > local food stores, have wine that spans the price range of $10 to $279
> > and do in-store tastings of almost any wine he carries. There are some
> > expections to that of course.
> >
> > We have a lot of fun there and have expanded our selection because of
> > the tastings. I have a hard time justifing spending $50 on a bottle of
> > wine when I don't know if I will like it. That's not a problem any more
> > as long as I go to this shop!
> >
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > --

> HI Mike.
> My main idea is to allow customers to taste every single wine
> available at the store. I do believe not tasting the wine keeps people
> from buying whatever they don't know.
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Andre

Andre
As others have mentioned, that could be costly. The way our local shop
handles the tasting is to have as small number of reds and whites open
at any given time. The choices vary. I haven't been to the shop two days
in a row to know how often he changes the choices. I'll have to ask.
He also does a bigger tasting on Saturdays to accomodate larger crowds.

Once the owner gets to know a person and their buying habits is when the
fun starts. There have been evenings when three or four regulars are in
at once where he will open a nice red (D2 is one that I remember) that
everyone buys two or three of when they leave.

--
Mike