Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Opening a Wine Store - any store owners out there to share theexperience?

Wine For Newbies wrote:

> My main idea is to allow customers to taste every single wine
> available at the store. I do believe not tasting the wine keeps people
> from buying whatever they don't know.
> Thanks for the tip.

Andre,
I am not a retailer, but as a consumer I can tell you that you'd
have to invest in a large-scale wine preservation system to do what you
want. It makes no sense to taste all your wines if they are going to
oxidize quickly and not show well after a day or two (and too expensive
to open up a new bottle of each wine every day). I like the idea,
though. I've been to several retailers that have "stations" that
dispense wine scattered throughout the sto you purchase a card that
then can be placed in the station to dispense a small pour of wine into
your glass. It's a very flexible system, but rather impersonal.

Mark Lipton