Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default cooking grates: expanded metal vs. conventional grates

Kent wrote:

> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to make
>>some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded metal "fabric"
>>welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel rounds and weld up
>>a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too far?). The
>>complexity
>>of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost me a
>>bit
>>more because I don't have the stock on hand.
>>
>>Which way would cook better and hold up better?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Grant Erwin
>>Kirkland, Washington
>>
>>--
>>

> Grant have you tried parts places like this?
> http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...new-braunfels/
> You may well find the part. It looks like you need to find the numerical
> model number hidden somewhere on the NBBD.

Interesting. NB of course doesn't have a Web site anymore, but their old
Web sites are archived. Here is one example: http://tinyurl.com/286kfw
On that page, you will find model numbers for the various NB smokers.
But they don't match up with the numbers on either the Charbroil page
or the appliancefactoryparts page. I called the latter, and the help
center gal told me that *all* the porcelain cooking grates formerly
available from Charbroil are no longer available. Nother dead end, sigh.

Grant