Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default cooking grates: expanded metal vs. conventional grates

Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to make
some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded metal "fabric"
welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel rounds and weld up
a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too far?). The complexity
of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost me a bit
more because I don't have the stock on hand.

Which way would cook better and hold up better?

Thanks!

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to
> make some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded
> metal "fabric" welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel
> rounds and weld up a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too
> far?). The
> complexity of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach
> would cost me a bit more because I don't have the stock on hand.
>
> Which way would cook better and hold up better?

If Big Jim is hanging around, he would be the one to answer. He works metal
and builds bbq pits. Big Jim also hangs around on alt.binaries.food, so you
might also try posting your question there.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
.. .
> Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to make
> some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded metal "fabric"
> welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel rounds and weld up
> a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too far?). The
> complexity
> of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost me a
> bit
> more because I don't have the stock on hand.
>
> Which way would cook better and hold up better?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Grant Erwin
> Kirkland, Washington

Every pit I ever built had expanded metal shelves
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Big Jim wrote:
> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to
>> make some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded
>> metal "fabric" welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel
>> rounds and weld up a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too
>> far?). The
>> complexity
>> of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost
>> me a bit
>> more because I don't have the stock on hand.
>>
>> Which way would cook better and hold up better?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Grant Erwin
>> Kirkland, Washington
>>
>> --
>>

> Every pit I ever built had expanded metal shelves

I knew you'd be able to help Grant out, Jim.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
.. .
> Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to make
> some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded metal "fabric"
> welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel rounds and weld up
> a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too far?). The
> complexity
> of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost me a
> bit
> more because I don't have the stock on hand.
>
> Which way would cook better and hold up better?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Grant Erwin
> Kirkland, Washington

Grant have you tried parts places like this?
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...new-braunfels/
You may well find the part. It looks like you need to find the numerical
model number hidden somewhere on the NBBD.
Good Luck,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:

> Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to make
> some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded metal "fabric"
> welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel rounds and weld up
> a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too far?). The complexity
> of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost me a bit
> more because I don't have the stock on hand.
>
> Which way would cook better and hold up better?

I'm pretty sure that for a smoker application it will make virtually no
difference. The smoker will run 250-300 degrees or so, and you aren't
getting any grill sear pattern on the meat so most anything that
supports the meat and lets the smoke/air/heat circulate should be fine.
It is common to hand strings of sausages on single rods too.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to make
>>some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded metal "fabric"
>>welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel rounds and weld up
>>a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too far?). The
>>complexity
>>of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost me a
>>bit
>>more because I don't have the stock on hand.
>>
>>Which way would cook better and hold up better?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Grant Erwin
>>Kirkland, Washington
>>
>>--
>>

> Grant have you tried parts places like this?
> http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...new-braunfels/
> You may well find the part. It looks like you need to find the numerical
> model number hidden somewhere on the NBBD.

Interesting. NB of course doesn't have a Web site anymore, but their old
Web sites are archived. Here is one example: http://tinyurl.com/286kfw
On that page, you will find model numbers for the various NB smokers.
But they don't match up with the numbers on either the Charbroil page
or the appliancefactoryparts page. I called the latter, and the help
center gal told me that *all* the porcelain cooking grates formerly
available from Charbroil are no longer available. Nother dead end, sigh.

Grant

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
.. .
> Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to make
> some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded metal "fabric"
> welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel rounds and weld up
> a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too far?). The
> complexity
> of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost me a
> bit
> more because I don't have the stock on hand.
>
> Which way would cook better and hold up better?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Grant Erwin
> Kirkland, Washington

BBQ Galore sells an offset smoker that may well be a copycat version of the
NBBD.
http://www.bbqgalore.com/smokers/misc/173543
Would a replacement grate for their offset fit your NBBD?
It's probably worth asking.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 25, 9:50*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
>
> .. .
>

> > Since I can't buy cooking grates for my Black Diamond, I'm going to make
> > some. I can either make a frame of angle iron with expanded metal "fabric"
> > welded to it, or cut up a bunch of cold rolled steel rounds and weld up
> > a conventional grid, bars spaced maybe 5/8" apart (too far?). The
> > complexity
> > of fabrication is about the same. The round bar approach would cost me a
> > bit
> > more because I don't have the stock on hand.

> > Which way would cook better and hold up better?

> > Thanks!

> > Grant Erwin
> > Kirkland, Washington

> > --

> BBQ Galore sells an offset smoker that may well be a copycat version of the
> NBBD.http://www.bbqgalore.com/smokers/misc/173543
> Would a replacement grate for their offset fit your NBBD?
> It's probably worth asking.
>
> Kent-

Kent-

I wouldn't be surprised if the BBQ Galore model is a copycat. Sure
looks close enough. When I bought my NBSS from BBQ Galore five years
ago it included a fire starter, stainless steel shelf and firebox
liner for about the same price.

Rob