Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default How to store chillies for long time

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .

> Nope, red ones are still red, greens are green, and the yellow ones are
> sort of yellow.
>
> I also freeze tomatoes, fresh from the garden, for cooking with. Take your
> tomatoes, wash well, pull the stem out if it's still on there, dry them
> with a towel, put in a vac bag and vacuum seal. When ready to use take the
> bag out of the freezer, let it thaw, still sealed, in the fridge. Open one
> corner, pour off the excess liquid, take out the tomatoes and slip the
> skins off, chop the meat and put it in whatever you're cooking. When the
> tomatoes freeze the flesh gives up the excess liquid, the skin slips and
> can be pulled off and tossed.
>
> I seldom ever can tomatoes anymore, just freeze them.

I freeze some tomatoes -- the ones at the end of the season when they're
ripening really slowly. I can the ones from the prime of the season, but
that's because I have more shelf space than freezer space.

But I was wondering how come the major producers don't offer frozen
tomatoes. If it's winter and the typical non-food-preserving cook wants to
make spaghetti sauce, they go to the store and buy canned tomatoes, since
the fresh ones available are kinda pink and tasteless. Why can't they buy
frozen tomatoes? In some ways it would be handier -- you can take the
amount of frozen vegetables you want out of the plastic bag, reseal the bag,
and stick it back it the freezer for later use.

The same holds true for chiles. I sometimes buy the little cans of chopped
chiles because they are convenient to use in recipes. A smallish bag of
frozen chopped chiles would be even better, since I could put as many chiles
as I want in a recipe and keep the rest frozen for later use..

(OK, I could use as much of the canned tomatoes or chiles as I want and then
freeze the rest, but I don't. I stick it in the frig, convinced I'll use
them within the week and then throw them out when they get moldy.)

Anny