Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default How to store chillies for long time

Anny Middon wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I freeze lots of chiles every year Anny. For use in cooking the texture
>> doesn't change enough to affect the taste IMHO. Particularly the sweet
>> chiles. YMMV
>>

> Good to know, George. Just curious - does the color change?
>
> Hmm. This gets me thinking -- there are some foods that both freeze and can
> well, but you never (or rarely) see them frozen. Tomatoes are one example,
> and chile peppers are another. (Interestingly, I've seen bell peppers
> frozen, but never canned.) Why is this? Why hasn't Birdseye come out with
> frozen chopped tomatoes?
>
> Or maybe they have and I'm in such a rut with my grocery shopping that I
> haven't noticed?
>
> Anny

Nope, red ones are still red, greens are green, and the yellow ones are
sort of yellow.

I also freeze tomatoes, fresh from the garden, for cooking with. Take
your tomatoes, wash well, pull the stem out if it's still on there, dry
them with a towel, put in a vac bag and vacuum seal. When ready to use
take the bag out of the freezer, let it thaw, still sealed, in the
fridge. Open one corner, pour off the excess liquid, take out the
tomatoes and slip the skins off, chop the meat and put it in whatever
you're cooking. When the tomatoes freeze the flesh gives up the excess
liquid, the skin slips and can be pulled off and tossed.

I seldom ever can tomatoes anymore, just freeze them.

George