Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Can I eat foods with sugar in them?

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Anna wrote:

: > My dr. is an endocrinologist. THEY DEAL STRICTLY WITH DIABETICS. All
: > the information she has given me has been checked by ME with the ADA
: > so yes I do trust her. My sister has a nurse friend who works for the
: > ADA and I check on anything my doctor says with her. She has been with
: > the ADA for 24 years. Should I trust her????

: Personally, I wouldn't. The ADA is notorious for their concentration on
: low-fat and not on the carbohydrates which are the things that make the
: blood glucose numbers high.

: I have plenty of ADA recipes that are so high in carbs that they are
: laughable. Desserts that are 45 grams of carbs (the entire 3 carb-count
: servings permitted in your diet).

: The ADA does some good things and we have been members for many, many
: years, but their recipes are silly.
: --
: Janet Wilder

My dietician, who was no low carber, used to say that you have to just
ignore he recipes in the ADA lay magazine, Diabetes Forcast because they
are all too high in carbs fo rany but diabetics who are engaged in very
heavy manual labor.

Were I to eat the amounts you have had recommended to you, 12 15 gram carb
units a day, I would have such high bg numbers that I would have to take
ffar mor meds than the 1000mgs twice a day of Metformin EX and 1 mg of
amaryl at night to keep myself from having all kinds of diabetic
complications. For me, she recommended 8 15 gram cab units and I foun d
that too much fo rme to handle, so cut back further using my meter as my
guide, checking FBG and after meal readings. In am 20 years a type 2 and
stil wilthout such complications(knock on wood).

Wendy