Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Can I eat foods with sugar in them?

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> AmyW wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:01:33 -0600, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> What most of these patients are not told is that a single slice of
>>> Wonder Bread is the equivalent of a tablespoon of sugar in
>>> carbohydrates.

>> I'll have to agree with that. I hadn't a clue about potatoes until I
>> was diagnosed and started keeping track of my blood sugar. And I've
>> noticed most of the general public just picture a diabetic taking a
>> shot and eating whatever.
>>

> No, I don't think that the general public believes that at all. Most
> people are exposed to T2 Diabetics who don't use insulin. I think most of
> the general public, including many cookbook authors, think that just
> substituting a sugar replacement makes any dessert okay for a Diabetic.
> They remain clueless about the added carbohydrates of the flour, fruit,
> milk, etc. (Too many DMs aren't properly educated and think the same,
> unfortunately)
>
> After writing to the editor of one of the Reiman Publication cooking
> magazines several times in regard to their "Diabetic-Friendly" recipes
> that contained 45 or more grams of carbohydrates per serving to explain
> that *all* carbohydrates must be considered in a recipe for Diabetics, I
> finally canceled my subscription.
>
> I would have kept it up for some of the other recipes, but their failure
> to respond led me to believe that they just didn't care.

I have to agree with you there. I've yet to meet anyone who knew that we
had to watch our carbs unless perhaps they had an immediate family member
with diabetes. And even then, they didn't necessarily realize that the
carbs were the culprit. I've often heard people say things like "Brown rice
or bread is good! White rice or bread is bad!" They also seem to think
that cereal is good so long as it doesn't contain sugar. What they don't
seem to realize is that they have to watch portion size.