Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Freezing and storing cooked turkey?

Phred wrote:
> G'day mates,
>
> I didn't really want or need a turkey for Xmas, but you know how
> bloody Murphy works -- I won one at the pub tonight! (I wanted the
> ham! :-)
>
> Okay, so let's assume I can work out a way to cook the damn thing
> acceptably -- then what do I do with the leftovers?
>
> I presume it *is* possible to freeze and store cooked turkey for a
> reasonable length of time, but what would you recommend as the best
> way to do it?
>
> I tried a google approach, but was left a little confused: One site
> told me that cooked turkey slices would store frozen for a month and
> the gravy or broth for 2 to 3 months. But it also said the cooked
> slices stored in gravy or broth would store frozen for 6 months!
>
> Clearly not a simple linear relationship!
>
> So, waddaya reckon mates? How do you do it for best results?
> TIA.
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Eat turkey sandwiches for a few days, then wrap what's left tightly in
freezer paper or heavy duty aluminium foil and freeze it. It will keep
for many months in the freezer, deteriorating *very* slowly. Use it in
soups and casseroles when you thaw it. Freeze the leftover gravy
separately for the most versatility.

Bob