Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default onions and coumadin

Pennyaline wrote on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:49:15 -0700:

P> James Silverton wrote:
??>> Pennyaline wrote on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 07:46:27 -0700:
??>>
P>>> Kent wrote:
??>>>> Coumadin is the generic name applied to the drug
??>>>> Warfarin.
??>>
P>>> Actually, Kent, Coumadin (capitalized) is a brand name for
P>>> the generic drug warfarin sodium (not capitalized).
??>>
P>>> There are many brand names for warfarin sodium, as many as
P>>> there are manufacturers of warfarin sodium.
??>>
??>>>> Also we now use the terms Warfarin and Coumadin
??>>>> interchangeably. Warfarin was the original brand name
??>>>> for coumadin. Both terms as used today to characterize
??>>>> the same drug, even on prescriptions written by your
??>>>> local doctor.
??>>
??>> This is a silly argument. I think many insurers ask to be
??>> allowed to make generic substitutions, as does mine: BCBS.
It
??>> is superstition to believe that there is any difference
??>> except sometimes in the color of the pills.
??>>
??>> James Silverton
??>> Potomac, Maryland
??>>
??>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

P> I don't understand what it is you're attributing to me here,
P> and I don't understand where the argument about the
P> *difference* between brand and generics came from. What I do
P> understand, intimately, is that insurance companies will not
P> reimburse brand name meds when generics are available except
P> under special circumstances.

If anyone feels insulted, I apologise but that it's pretty
irrelevant arguing about generics was all I wanted to say
whoever maintained otherwise :-)