Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Nigel Nigel is offline

Default How can you tell if tea has caffeine?

On Dec 11, 7:38 pm, Alan > wrote:

> Does this mean that cold-brewed iced-tea would have less caffeine than
> hot-brewed? Or does the extended steeping time (hours) allow the
> caffeine to eventually dissolve in the water even though it is cold?

Assuming you cold steep at 1 gram leaf per 100 ml water and that
avearge leaf contains 3% caffeine I would say yes it will eventually
all leach out. I
base this on placing 0.3 grams pure caffeine into 1 liter of water at
room temperature - it dissolved completely within 2 hours.

Nigel at Teacraft