Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default onions and coumadin

Arri wrote on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:55:07 -0700:

AL> James Silverton wrote:
??>>
??>> "Kent" > wrote in message
??>> . ..
??>>>
??>>> BTW, coumadin, as you but not many others know, is the
??>>> generic name for the drug. Warfarin is the old brand
??>>> name. Warfarin stans for "Wisconsin Alumni Research
??>>> Foundation", which held original copyright for the drug,
??>>> where largely, it was developed. I'm an old UW alumnus.
??>>>
??>> Will someone please explain to me why the perfectly
??>> satisfactory generic name warfarin should be changed to
??>> coumadin? I know that, for some reason, I have my blood
??>> cotting time measured at a "Coumadin Clinic".

AL> Do you really want to take a drug that sounds like
AL> 'warfare' regardless of the origin of the name LOL?
AL> Coumadin is the trademarked name of Dupont's brand of
AL> warfarin. Our local university hospital also has a
AL> 'coumadin' clinic.

I was fully aware of the identical nature of warfarin and
coumadin and I guess the reason for the later name probably is
psychological as you say. "Warfarin" does not bother me at all
even if I that I knew it was used as a rat poison long before it
was prescribed for me. Actually, "warfarin" is what it says on
the bottle when I refill.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: