Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
juliantai[_3_] juliantai[_3_] is offline

Default How can you tell if tea has caffeine?

On Dec 8, 10:21 pm, "Slint Flig" > wrote:
> > "The overall average caffeine released in the first through third
> > brews were 69%, 23%, and 8%, respectively." Though it doesn't say so
> > in the abstract available at the link above, in the full article it is
> > said that the infusions were 5 minutes each. So... if 5 minutes
> > removes 69%, how much do you really think 30 seconds will?

> good point. If they used bagged tea that means that even less will be
> released in loose leaf in the same period.

I am very puzzled about the origin of the "30 second" myth too.

I read about another study which uses hot water decaffeination, but
using semi-processed leaves, which are then pan roasted later. Now
that is real decaffenation that not only removes caffeine but keep the
nutrients intact.

By the way caffeine is good for you so a few cups a day do an awful
good....

Oops! Did I just say that?

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com