Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
[email protected] andrei.avk@gmail.com is offline

Default How can you tell if tea has caffeine?

On Dec 8, 12:43 pm, "Bluesea" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > On Dec 7, 2:07 pm, wrote:
> > > How can you determine if tea contains caffeine if the label does not
> > > indicate either way? Are there any ingredients that I can look for to
> > > determine this?

> > > Thanks.

> > If it's a green, black, oolong, white (or any other kinds of TEA
> > varieties), it will have caffeine. If it does not have caffeine, it
> > will say so explicitly on the label (and even then, there are probably
> > traces of caffeine)

> > If it's an herbal or rooibos blend,...

> It isn't tea because it didn't come from the Camilla sinensis "tea" plant.
>
> > ...then it is caffeine free.

> Unless it's Yerba mate which has caffeine.
>
> > Remember that you can easily "decaffeinate" any tea by steeping it for
> > a minute...

> After 30 seconds, you lose too much flavor for practically no additional
> benefit.
>
> The last time I mentioned DIY decaffeination, I got jumped for propagating a
> myth. I still don't understand it because, not only is it fairly common
> knowledge by now among tea people, the first time I heard about it, I was
> told the name of the man who discovered it and that there was a website.
> Since that was about 10 years ago, there's no way I can remember the details
> of who discovered it or the URL and the man who told me about it, a former
> instructor, has since died so I can't go back to him and ask.
>
> So, now I'm in the position of wondering if the myth about DIY
> decaffeinating is a myth since apparently anybody can put up a webpage with
> the scientific basis for whatever's being touted.

I think this is a more complex issue than just the caffeine, there are
other
stimulants in tea (I believe at least two other ones). Green and white
and
oolong teas can have as much or more caffeine than blacks, but blacks
have a far different 'buzz' (and stronger) than the other teas, as far
as I can tell.
There are a huge number of variables that may affect this. The
difference in
taste itself can have a stimulating effect. The difference in aroma
may have
an effect as well. Various non-stimulating chemicals may have effect
on how
stimulants are absorbed. The ratio of the three stimulants may have an
effect too.

As far as I'm concerned, second, third, etc steeps make tea with
notably
less stimulating effect but also not as tasty, unless you're talking
about
gong-fu method. I usually don't bother. I'm so used to white and green
tea
that I don't get any stimulating effect from 8-9 oz, and the first
steep
tastes much better to me, even for very good teas, although it may be
that I use less leaf than is common..