DaveR

Default Tomatillo salsa

"Bobo Bonobo?" > wrote in message
om...
> The salsa at a taqueria I go to seems to be made with nothing other
> that tomatillos, chiles, water and salt. Anyone make the stuff?
> Also, anyone know what's in the salsa that they have in burrito joints
> in Chicago? That appears to be just like the above, but minus the
> tomatillos. All the recipes I could find had garlic or onions,
> something I know is not in those.
>
> --Bryan

Bryan,
Tomatillo salsa is made with garlic, onions, jalapeņos, salt and cilantro
blended with the boiled tomatillos (you may need to add a little water) .
You can use Serrano peppers for less heat. This salsa is great simmered with
fried pork rinds (till they are soft) and a little extra water---------this
is how you make the chicharrones sold in taco stands----------

If you can get good fresh hard tomatillos, make a fresh salsa by grating the
tomatillos, onions and chilies with a cheese grater, smash & chop a clove
of garlic and finely chop a small handful of cilantro. Mix them with salt
and it closely resembles the fresh salsas made in a molcajete.

Lightly toasting the tomatillos and chilies on a dry skillet before making
the salsa gives it an authentic flavor.

Canned tomatillos are the same as boiled tomatillos when making cooked salsa
with them.

DaveR