Bobo Bonobo?

Default Tomatillo salsa

The salsa at a taqueria I go to seems to be made with nothing other
that tomatillos, chiles, water and salt. Anyone make the stuff?
Also, anyone know what's in the salsa that they have in burrito joints
in Chicago? That appears to be just like the above, but minus the
tomatillos. All the recipes I could find had garlic or onions,
something I know is not in those.

--Bryan
Andrew @ Rockface

Bobo Bonobo? wrote:
> The salsa at a taqueria I go to seems to be made with nothing other
> that tomatillos, chiles, water and salt. Anyone make the stuff?
> Also, anyone know what's in the salsa that they have in burrito joints
> in Chicago? That appears to be just like the above, but minus the
> tomatillos. All the recipes I could find had garlic or onions,
> something I know is not in those.
>
> --Bryan

I usually put lime juice in mine but then I'm an ignorant englishman.
I think the best salsa is the simplest, so I like your first recipe (but I'd
add lime juice).

"Badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: (Winamp is not active ;-)

DaveR

"Bobo Bonobo?" > wrote in message
om...
> The salsa at a taqueria I go to seems to be made with nothing other
> that tomatillos, chiles, water and salt. Anyone make the stuff?
> Also, anyone know what's in the salsa that they have in burrito joints
> in Chicago? That appears to be just like the above, but minus the
> tomatillos. All the recipes I could find had garlic or onions,
> something I know is not in those.
>
> --Bryan

Bryan,
Tomatillo salsa is made with garlic, onions, jalapeños, salt and cilantro
blended with the boiled tomatillos (you may need to add a little water) .
You can use Serrano peppers for less heat. This salsa is great simmered with
fried pork rinds (till they are soft) and a little extra water---------this
is how you make the chicharrones sold in taco stands----------

If you can get good fresh hard tomatillos, make a fresh salsa by grating the
tomatillos, onions and chilies with a cheese grater, smash & chop a clove
of garlic and finely chop a small handful of cilantro. Mix them with salt
and it closely resembles the fresh salsas made in a molcajete.

Lightly toasting the tomatillos and chilies on a dry skillet before making
the salsa gives it an authentic flavor.

Canned tomatillos are the same as boiled tomatillos when making cooked salsa
with them.

DaveR

Bobo Bonobo?

"DaveR" > wrote in message >...
> "Bobo Bonobo?" > wrote in message
> om...
> > The salsa at a taqueria I go to seems to be made with nothing other
> > that tomatillos, chiles, water and salt. Anyone make the stuff?
> > Also, anyone know what's in the salsa that they have in burrito joints
> > in Chicago? That appears to be just like the above, but minus the
> > tomatillos. All the recipes I could find had garlic or onions,
> > something I know is not in those.
> >
> > --Bryan

> Bryan,
> Tomatillo salsa is made with garlic, onions, jalapeños, salt and cilantro
> blended with the boiled tomatillos (you may need to add a little water) .
> You can use Serrano peppers for less heat. This salsa is great simmered with
> fried pork rinds (till they are soft) and a little extra water---------this
> is how you make the chicharrones sold in taco stands----------
>
> If you can get good fresh hard tomatillos, make a fresh salsa by grating the
> tomatillos, onions and chilies with a cheese grater, smash & chop a clove
> of garlic and finely chop a small handful of cilantro. Mix them with salt
> and it closely resembles the fresh salsas made in a molcajete.
>
> Lightly toasting the tomatillos and chilies on a dry skillet before making
> the salsa gives it an authentic flavor.
>
> Canned tomatillos are the same as boiled tomatillos when making cooked salsa
> with them.
>
> DaveR

I made a salsa that was identical to that I used to buy from the
carniceria by taking Andrew's suggestion of adding lime juice. Funny,
but I think that Andrew is English. How the heck did HE know? I've
been snickering about the term "limey" every time I contemplate that.
The salsa I made was not "cooked salsa." The chilies were toasted on
a skillet, then peeled, but the tomatillos were raw. Again, this was
exactly like the stuff I've bought. I'm quite pleased. Keep the
onion, garlic, and certainly the cilantro. You can have my share.

--Bryan
Bobo Bonobo?

Andrew @ Rockface

Bobo Bonobo? wrote:
> "DaveR" > wrote in message
>> "Bobo Bonobo?" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> The salsa at a taqueria I go to seems to be made with nothing other
>>> that tomatillos, chiles, water and salt. Anyone make the stuff?
>>> Also, anyone know what's in the salsa that they have in burrito
>>> joints in Chicago? That appears to be just like the above, but
>>> minus the tomatillos. All the recipes I could find had garlic or
>>> onions, something I know is not in those.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> Bryan,
>> Tomatillo salsa is made with garlic, onions, jalapeños, salt and
>> cilantro blended with the boiled tomatillos (you may need to add a
>> little water) . You can use Serrano peppers for less heat. This
>> salsa is great simmered with fried pork rinds (till they are soft)
>> and a little extra water---------this is how you make the
>> chicharrones sold in taco stands----------
>>
>> If you can get good fresh hard tomatillos, make a fresh salsa by
>> grating the tomatillos, onions and chilies with a cheese grater,
>> smash & chop a clove of garlic and finely chop a small handful of
>> cilantro. Mix them with salt and it closely resembles the fresh
>> salsas made in a molcajete.
>>
>> Lightly toasting the tomatillos and chilies on a dry skillet before
>> making the salsa gives it an authentic flavor.
>>
>> Canned tomatillos are the same as boiled tomatillos when making
>> cooked salsa with them.
>>
>> DaveR

> I made a salsa that was identical to that I used to buy from the
> carniceria by taking Andrew's suggestion of adding lime juice. Funny,
> but I think that Andrew is English. How the heck did HE know? I've
> been snickering about the term "limey" every time I contemplate that.
> The salsa I made was not "cooked salsa." The chilies were toasted on
> a skillet, then peeled, but the tomatillos were raw. Again, this was
> exactly like the stuff I've bought. I'm quite pleased. Keep the
> onion, garlic, and certainly the cilantro. You can have my share.

Yes I am English but was a cook years ago. Don't get the chance to do it
much anymore - time restraints, but last year I did a seven course Thai meal
for the wife. It took 24 hours to prepare because of the homemade, praline
ice-cream I made (I know, ice-cream's not exactly Thai).

If I could I'd have cilantro/coriander and garlic with everything

Here's a nice easy recipe for potato boulangere that I like - shit, this is
not punk!

Two large potatoes.
One large onion.
150ml milk
150ml hot chicken stock
Butter
salt and pepper

1) Thinly slice the potatoes (use a mandolin if you have one and don't mind
slicing your finger tips off). Try and get some slices so thin they are
almost transparent.
2) Peel and slice the onion into rounds.
3) Put down a layer of the thicker potato slices into the bottom of a
shallow (2") oven-proof dish.
4) Put down a few of the onion circles.
5) Add salt and pepper - not too much as you'l need to do this for each
layer.
6) Repeat steps 3,4 and 5 until near the top of the dish. Use the thin
potato slices for the last layer so they'll crip up nicely. Do not add onion
to the top layer.
7) Mix the chicken stock and milk and pour over the dish making sure that
the level is at least a quarter inch below the top of the potato.
8) Drop a few slices of butter on the top.
9) Stick in the preheated 190c oven for 40-45 minutes.

Hopefully I've got this right as I going from memory. Appologies to any
french out there for ruining a national dish.

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: (Winamp is not active ;-)

Andrew @ Rockface

Bobo Bonobo? wrote:
> [...]

almost transparent.
2) Peel and slice the onion into rounds.
3) Put down a layer of the thicker potato slices into the bottom of a
shallow (2") oven-proof dish.
4) Put down a few of the onion circles.
5) Add salt and pepper - not too much as you'l need to do this for each
layer.
6) Repeat steps 3,4 and 5 until near the top of the dish. Use the thin
potato slices for the last layer so they'll crip up nicely. Do not add onion
to the top layer.
7) Mix the chicken stock and milk and pour over the dish making sure that
the level is at least a quarter inch below the top of the potato.
8) Drop a few slices of butter on the top.
9) Stick in the preheated 190c oven for 40-45 minutes.

Hopefully I've got this right as I going from memory. Appologies to any
french out there for ruining a national dish.

lgo

"Bobo Bonobo?" > wrote in message
om...
> "DaveR" > wrote in message

> > "Bobo Bonobo?" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > The salsa at a taqueria I go to seems to be made with nothing other
> > > that tomatillos, chiles, water and salt. Anyone make the stuff?
> > > Also, anyone know what's in the salsa that they have in burrito joints
> > > in Chicago? That appears to be just like the above, but minus the
> > > tomatillos. All the recipes I could find had garlic or onions,
> > > something I know is not in those.
> > >
> > > --Bryan

> > Bryan,
> > Tomatillo salsa is made with garlic, onions, jalapeños, salt and

cilantro
> > blended with the boiled tomatillos (you may need to add a little water)

..
> > You can use Serrano peppers for less heat. This salsa is great simmered

with
> > fried pork rinds (till they are soft) and a little extra

water---------this
> > is how you make the chicharrones sold in taco stands----------
> >
> > If you can get good fresh hard tomatillos, make a fresh salsa by grating

the
> > tomatillos, onions and chilies with a cheese grater, smash & chop a

clove
> > of garlic and finely chop a small handful of cilantro. Mix them with

salt
> > and it closely resembles the fresh salsas made in a molcajete.
> >
> > Lightly toasting the tomatillos and chilies on a dry skillet before

making
> > the salsa gives it an authentic flavor.
> >
> > Canned tomatillos are the same as boiled tomatillos when making cooked

salsa
> > with them.
> >
> > DaveR

> I made a salsa that was identical to that I used to buy from the
> carniceria by taking Andrew's suggestion of adding lime juice. Funny,
> but I think that Andrew is English. How the heck did HE know? I've
> been snickering about the term "limey" every time I contemplate that.
> The salsa I made was not "cooked salsa." The chilies were toasted on
> a skillet, then peeled, but the tomatillos were raw. Again, this was
> exactly like the stuff I've bought. I'm quite pleased. Keep the
> onion, garlic, and certainly the cilantro. You can have my share.
>
> --Bryan

I make mine with tomatillo, chile arbol, salt and a bit of onion.

nice and hot and tasty!

lgo