Posted to rec.food.baking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default NYT No-Knead recipe - baking container for same

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:57:21 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I don't have a LeCreuset dutch oven.
>
>I have a Mehu-Liisa fruit steamer and its water pan can work as a
>roaster - pic here <http://www.juicer-steamer.com/10litmehstea.html> -
>scroll down. It's pretty substantial.
>
>I have a Schlemmertopf clay roaster.
>
>I have a crockpot with removable ceramic insert.
>
>What is my best choice to bake this bread in? I'm fretting over
>preheating the container to 450° ‹ I keep thinking something awful is
>going to happen to it when I dump the dough into it for baking.
>
>Whaddaya think?
>Thanks,

I use a plain old (and I mean *old*) Griswold cast iron Dutch
oven...maybe 5 qts. You can use Magnalite, or likely the bottom of the
juicer, too.

Many postings online have mentioned using clay bakers, too.

You can use ceramic quite easily, and I think the insert for the slow
cooker will work as long as it is oven safe. Corning ware, Pyrex, any
of them will work You can use almost anything at all that has a top
and will tolerate pre-heating and baking.

The advantage of cast iron, at least to me, is that the pot I use is
well seasoned and releases the bread beautifully.

The beauty of the recipe is its flexibility - it not just tolerates
but shines with flour/grain variations and a wide range of baking
pots do it justice, as well.

Boron