Posted to rec.food.baking

Default NYT No-Knead recipe - baking container for same

I don't have a LeCreuset dutch oven.

I have a Mehu-Liisa fruit steamer and its water pan can work as a
roaster - pic here <http://www.juicer-steamer.com/10litmehstea.html> -
scroll down. It's pretty substantial.

I have a Schlemmertopf clay roaster.

I have a crockpot with removable ceramic insert.

What is my best choice to bake this bread in? I'm fretting over
preheating the container to 450° ‹ I keep thinking something awful is
going to happen to it when I dump the dough into it for baking.

Whaddaya think?
Thanks,
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:57:21 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I don't have a LeCreuset dutch oven.
>
>I have a Mehu-Liisa fruit steamer and its water pan can work as a
>roaster - pic here <http://www.juicer-steamer.com/10litmehstea.html> -
>scroll down. It's pretty substantial.
>
>I have a Schlemmertopf clay roaster.
>
>I have a crockpot with removable ceramic insert.
>
>What is my best choice to bake this bread in? I'm fretting over
>preheating the container to 450° ‹ I keep thinking something awful is
>going to happen to it when I dump the dough into it for baking.
>
>Whaddaya think?
>Thanks,

I use a plain old (and I mean *old*) Griswold cast iron Dutch
oven...maybe 5 qts. You can use Magnalite, or likely the bottom of the
juicer, too.

Many postings online have mentioned using clay bakers, too.

You can use ceramic quite easily, and I think the insert for the slow
cooker will work as long as it is oven safe. Corning ware, Pyrex, any
of them will work You can use almost anything at all that has a top
and will tolerate pre-heating and baking.

The advantage of cast iron, at least to me, is that the pot I use is
well seasoned and releases the bread beautifully.

The beauty of the recipe is its flexibility - it not just tolerates
but shines with flour/grain variations and a wide range of baking
pots do it justice, as well.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.baking

You can use anything that's ovenproof like a stainless steel saucepan as
long as it has a lid. By the way anybody see last Wednesday's NY
Times...another "no knead" idea. Doesn't require a dutch over..bakes in the
oven and takes a lot less time. Recipe makes 4 loaves so I halved it, baked
one and saved the rest of the dough for later. Worked our REAL
good...better than the original Bittman recipe in my opinion. Try it, and
see. Should be able to get the recipe from www.nytimes.com under "food and
drink"? or this weeks recipes.
"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> I don't have a LeCreuset dutch oven.
>
> I have a Mehu-Liisa fruit steamer and its water pan can work as a
> roaster - pic here <http://www.juicer-steamer.com/10litmehstea.html> -
> scroll down. It's pretty substantial.
>
> I have a Schlemmertopf clay roaster.
>
> I have a crockpot with removable ceramic insert.
>
> What is my best choice to bake this bread in? I'm fretting over
> preheating the container to 450° < I keep thinking something awful is
> going to happen to it when I dump the dough into it for baking.
>
> Whaddaya think?
> Thanks,
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

Posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I don't have a LeCreuset dutch oven.
>
> I have a Mehu-Liisa fruit steamer and its water pan can work as a
> roaster - pic here <http://www.juicer-steamer.com/10litmehstea.html> -
> scroll down. It's pretty substantial.
>
> I have a Schlemmertopf clay roaster.
>
> I have a crockpot with removable ceramic insert.
>
> What is my best choice to bake this bread in? I'm fretting over
> preheating the container to 450° ‹ I keep thinking something awful is
> going to happen to it when I dump the dough into it for baking.
>
> Whaddaya think?
> Thanks,

I use a crockpot liner with an all-glass lid.
I do wipe it with a light schmear of lard, prior to preheating.
Most of the grease will burn off at 450 - 500 F, but my loaf doesn't
stick...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

In article > ,
Dave Bell > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > I don't have a LeCreuset dutch oven.
> >
> > I have a Mehu-Liisa fruit steamer and its water pan can work as a
> > roaster - pic here <http://www.juicer-steamer.com/10litmehstea.html> -
> > scroll down. It's pretty substantial.
> >
> > I have a Schlemmertopf clay roaster.
> >
> > I have a crockpot with removable ceramic insert.
> >
> > What is my best choice to bake this bread in? I'm fretting over
> > preheating the container to 450° Ð I keep thinking something awful is
> > going to happen to it when I dump the dough into it for baking.
> >
> > Whaddaya think?
> > Thanks,

> I use a crockpot liner with an all-glass lid.
> I do wipe it with a light schmear of lard, prior to preheating.
> Most of the grease will burn off at 450 - 500 F, but my loaf doesn't
> stick...
>
> Dave

Thanks, Dave.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 26, 8:57 am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> I don't have a LeCreuset dutch oven.

I leave all those "fancy" cookware pots at the store. I have a $30
Lodge dutch oven w/ lid In bought 25 years ago. It is the best for so
many things from baking and roasting to using as a deep fryer. Great
for camping too! We use it camping to make a deep dish pizza.

In just love that bread recipe. Been trying to create that style of
breadn for years....and every loaf is perfect.