Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Induction Cooktop

Doug > wrote in news:douglashh-
:

> Am thinking of an induction cooktop for Christmas.
>
> Anyone want to share experiences, good & bad.
>
> Thanks

I use regularly an induction hot plate...a one burner dealie. I am quite
content with it. My electric coil stove can not beat the evenness of it's
heat or the speed at which it reaches temperature. It is a pain that it
will only work with ferrous metal pots and pans....well pans that are
magnetic. And it can get fairly warm from reflected heat. It has a mess
of feature I rarely use a power on timer, a automatic temperature setting
and a dealie that beeps if there is no pan on the 'burner' plus the usual
adjustable low thru to high temp settings control slider. Plus a fan that
is suppose to help cool it down.

I use it mostly outside when I bbq to make sauces and side dishes. And
occassionally I'll make scrambled eggs or a large pot of soup inside with
it. It will maintain a very even temp low simmer quite nicely for the
soup. I believe it almost matches gas in heat up and cool down and it is
reasonable kilowatt power cost-wise.

If I could afford a range top I would buy one in a New York minute...Last
I checked the price was a prohibitive 4-6 grand, which sadly is out of my
price range budget-wise.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore