Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Induction Cooktop

Am thinking of an induction cooktop for Christmas.

Anyone want to share experiences, good & bad.

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug" > wrote in message
> Am thinking of an induction cooktop for Christmas.
>
> Anyone want to share experiences, good & bad.
>
> Thanks

I didn't know anything about induction -- was even confused between it and a
regular electric cooktop because I was using coils. But I did find an
interesting article in Consumers Reports about Sears induction cooktop.
It's no doubt outdated (or updated as the case may be), but if you get no

Also try googling rec.food.equipment site. I think there has been a bit of
discussion there about experiences.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug > wrote:

> Am thinking of an induction cooktop for Christmas.
>
> Anyone want to share experiences, good & bad.

Posted about six months ago:

I do not have an induction range, but I have cooked on one at friends'.
I can say that if I were in the market for a new range now, an induction
one would be at the top of my list. Given suitable (i.e.
magnetic-based) cookware, "normal" cooking is as comfortable and
efficient as on a gas range. Induction ranges are as responsive and
fast as any gas ones. Their great advantages are the absence of the
potentially dangerous open flame or the heat of the range itself, as
only the cookware gets hot, and also of the dirt coming from burning gas
(as *some* dirt is always produced). They are rather safer to use than
any conventional alternative. Their disadvantages are the necessity of
suitable cookware with flat, smooth bottoms, so such vessels as woks and
cauldrons with concave bottoms used for such dishes as the Uzbek plov
are effectively out. Also, one has no open flame for singing peppers,
for example, or pin feathers of poultry or game, should it become
necessary. You also have to consider a higher initial cost of an
induction range. It is more economical in actual use, though.

See also <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug > wrote in news:douglashh-
:

> Am thinking of an induction cooktop for Christmas.
>
> Anyone want to share experiences, good & bad.
>
> Thanks

I use regularly an induction hot plate...a one burner dealie. I am quite
content with it. My electric coil stove can not beat the evenness of it's
heat or the speed at which it reaches temperature. It is a pain that it
will only work with ferrous metal pots and pans....well pans that are
magnetic. And it can get fairly warm from reflected heat. It has a mess
of feature I rarely use a power on timer, a automatic temperature setting
and a dealie that beeps if there is no pan on the 'burner' plus the usual
adjustable low thru to high temp settings control slider. Plus a fan that
is suppose to help cool it down.

I use it mostly outside when I bbq to make sauces and side dishes. And
occassionally I'll make scrambled eggs or a large pot of soup inside with
it. It will maintain a very even temp low simmer quite nicely for the
soup. I believe it almost matches gas in heat up and cool down and it is
reasonable kilowatt power cost-wise.

If I could afford a range top I would buy one in a New York minute...Last
I checked the price was a prohibitive 4-6 grand, which sadly is out of my
price range budget-wise.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore