Posted to alt.food.wine
Dave[_24_] Dave[_24_] is offline

Default Week in Sonoma / Napa

fsa3 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I are spending a week (the week over new years) in Sonoma
> (in Windsor to be exact). We've been to Sonoma before and loved it,
> but the first time we were only there 3 days and mainly went to
> tastings and spent one day in Healdsburg. This time we have a lot
> more time and plan on checking out Napa as well.
>
> I was curious if you had any must see or must do things you'd
> recommend for our week there. We both love wine and food but are
> interested in trying anything unique (whether it's a unique vineyard
> or restaurants or something else).
>
> Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks & Happy Holidays.

As a local, I can point out a couple of things. First, Sonoma is a town
in Sonoma County, just like Napa is a town in Napa County. Windsor and
Sonoma are not very close to each other.

I would skip all the big winery tastings. There are many, many small
tasting rooms that you will enjoy much more and get a very personalized
experience. One of my favorites is Porter Creek on Westside Rd.

Willy's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa is worth a stop. Small plates and
excellent local wine list.

The Flying Goat in Old Railroad Square (Santa Rosa) or Healdsburg is the
best coffeehouse in the area.

You must make a trip to the ocean. Coleman Valley Rd. out to Bodega Bay
is a beautiful trip.

Rent a bike in Healdsburg and ride out West Dry Creek Rd. Do the loop
thru Geyserville and Jimtown if you are up to it.

While you are at it, stop in the Jimtown store for lunch or a snack.

The bakery in Freestone is to die for (weekends only).

Have fun...

Dave