Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Week in Sonoma / Napa

Hi,

My wife and I are spending a week (the week over new years) in Sonoma
(in Windsor to be exact). We've been to Sonoma before and loved it,
but the first time we were only there 3 days and mainly went to
tastings and spent one day in Healdsburg. This time we have a lot
more time and plan on checking out Napa as well.

I was curious if you had any must see or must do things you'd
recommend for our week there. We both love wine and food but are
interested in trying anything unique (whether it's a unique vineyard
or restaurants or something else).

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.
Thanks & Happy Holidays.
Posted to alt.food.wine

fsa3 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I are spending a week (the week over new years) in Sonoma
> (in Windsor to be exact). We've been to Sonoma before and loved it,
> but the first time we were only there 3 days and mainly went to
> tastings and spent one day in Healdsburg. This time we have a lot
> more time and plan on checking out Napa as well.
>
> I was curious if you had any must see or must do things you'd
> recommend for our week there. We both love wine and food but are
> interested in trying anything unique (whether it's a unique vineyard
> or restaurants or something else).
>
> Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks & Happy Holidays.

As a local, I can point out a couple of things. First, Sonoma is a town
in Sonoma County, just like Napa is a town in Napa County. Windsor and
Sonoma are not very close to each other.

I would skip all the big winery tastings. There are many, many small
tasting rooms that you will enjoy much more and get a very personalized
experience. One of my favorites is Porter Creek on Westside Rd.

Willy's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa is worth a stop. Small plates and
excellent local wine list.

The Flying Goat in Old Railroad Square (Santa Rosa) or Healdsburg is the
best coffeehouse in the area.

You must make a trip to the ocean. Coleman Valley Rd. out to Bodega Bay
is a beautiful trip.

Rent a bike in Healdsburg and ride out West Dry Creek Rd. Do the loop
thru Geyserville and Jimtown if you are up to it.

While you are at it, stop in the Jimtown store for lunch or a snack.

The bakery in Freestone is to die for (weekends only).

Have fun...

Dave
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks.

Since your a local, I was curious if you had any suggestions for a
place to enjoy new years eve. My wife and I are looking for someplace
fun that will have some other non-locals... not sure if anything comes
to mind.

We are willing to drive a bit some of the days to see some of Napa and
other areas of Sonoma (in case that adds some other 'must do' stuff to
the list).

Thanks again!
Posted to alt.food.wine

fsa3 wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Since your a local, I was curious if you had any suggestions for a
> place to enjoy new years eve. My wife and I are looking for someplace
> fun that will have some other non-locals... not sure if anything comes
> to mind.
>
> We are willing to drive a bit some of the days to see some of Napa and
> other areas of Sonoma (in case that adds some other 'must do' stuff to
> the list).
>
> Thanks again!

We don't go over the hill to Napa much so I'm not really qualified to
make any recommendations there (besides, Sonoma County is so much better).

As far as New Year's Eve, I'm also not much use since I'm usually in bed
by 10pm. I haven't seen much advertising yet in the local paper, but
I'm sure there are parties at the downtown Santa Rosa clubs.

I don't know what you like to do, so the 'must do' list is variable.
Santa Rosa has a Snoopy museum (C. Schulz lived here). There are hot
springs in Calistoga (Napa County). The Farmhouse Inn on River Rd. is
one of the finest local restaurants, some think better then the $$$ ones
in Healdsburg. San Francisco is an hour's drive south.

Other wineries I like include Seghesio, Stryker, and Iron Horse. There
are so many that you really can't go wrong.

Dave
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dave" > wrote in message
> fsa3 wrote:
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Since your a local, I was curious if you had any suggestions for a
>> place to enjoy new years eve. My wife and I are looking for someplace
>> fun that will have some other non-locals... not sure if anything comes
>> to mind.
>>
>> We are willing to drive a bit some of the days to see some of Napa and
>> other areas of Sonoma (in case that adds some other 'must do' stuff to
>> the list).
>>
>> Thanks again!

Meeker & Mazzocco were two tastings we enjoyed very, very much this past
summer.
Moshin was also a very nice experience, with wonderful wine and hospitality.

As for restaurants, we had a nice dinner at Zin's in Healdsburg.
We have had wonderful meals in Sonoma at El Dorado Kitchen and Della
Santina. The latter
is a bargain, by the way, with wonderful ambience and service.

Enjoy!

Posted to alt.food.wine

fsa3 wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Since your a local, I was curious if you had any suggestions for a
> place to enjoy new years eve. My wife and I are looking for someplace
> fun that will have some other non-locals... not sure if anything comes
> to mind.

I'm just curious what the special appeal of non-locals is?
My wife and I have spent more than a few New Year's at Mendocino.
For most of them, we ate well at the name restaurants and it was
always excellent.

Most recently, we had a simple dinner at the local bar/pub, populated
by locals, and it was outstanding fun. Perhaps it was just the change
of pace, but the lack of pretense made it a particularly great time.

Though I'm sort-of local (I live about 40 minutes from downtown
Sonoma, and slightly less than than that from Yountville), let me
suggest, reveling with the locals might be more fun than doing the
tourist gig.

> We are willing to drive a bit some of the days to see some of Napa and
> other areas of Sonoma (in case that adds some other 'must do' stuff to
> the list).

If you're looking for the big-time Napa experience, there are many
obvious places to go. Personally, I'd suggest making sure to include
at least some of the following:

Vincent Arroyo: small producer, a lot of personality, great wine,
the winemaker is often pouring
Summers: small producer, make sure to try the Napa Charbono
Dutch Henry: small producer, Scott (winemaker) is often pouring
Honig: Outstanding fruit-driven style, great attitude
Ehlers Estate: Very elegant wines; superb Claret-style Zin, for
example.
Cakebread: a low-key Napa veteran
Sequoia Grove: surprisingly little hype for great wine
Sawyer: another small producer worth visiting
Heitz: known for big Cabs, don't miss the Ports
Bennese haven't been in a few years, great small producer

There are many more fine choices around Napa Valley. The Big-Timers
are all fine places to taste, but the smaller places are more
interesting.

As others have pointed out, do not miss Dry Creek. Bella, Rochioli,
Armida are just a few that spring to mind (as cliche as it is, Armida's
Poizin is quite a wine in an over-the-top package; if you give it as a
gift, make sure the recipient understands it is meant to be consumed
and not just looked at). I'm not even scratching the surface; I'd
suggest asking your server at dinner what wineries the locals like -
and trying them first.

Cheers,
Dana
Posted to alt.food.wine

fsa3 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I are spending a week (the week over new years) in Sonoma
> (in Windsor to be exact). We've been to Sonoma before and loved it,
> but the first time we were only there 3 days and mainly went to
> tastings and spent one day in Healdsburg. This time we have a lot
> more time and plan on checking out Napa as well.
>
> I was curious if you had any must see or must do things you'd
> recommend for our week there. We both love wine and food but are
> interested in trying anything unique (whether it's a unique vineyard
> or restaurants or something else).

For a selection of recommendations made in this newsgroup over the past
3-5 years, check out the relevant topics in our FAQ, the address of
which can be found in my sig.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

You might also try dinner at Cafe Citti in Kenwood - a local favorite
on hwy 12 between Windsor and Sonoma, and just down the road is
Wellington vinyards much more low key than the name suggests. Good Zin
and occasionally excellent Viognier.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 25, 9:29 am, fsa3 > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My wife and I are spending a week (the week over new years) in Sonoma
> (in Windsor to be exact). We've been to Sonoma before and loved it,
> but the first time we were only there 3 days and mainly went to
> tastings and spent one day in Healdsburg. This time we have a lot
> more time and plan on checking out Napa as well.
>
> I was curious if you had any must see or must do things you'd
> recommend for our week there. We both love wine and food but are
> interested in trying anything unique (whether it's a unique vineyard
> or restaurants or something else).
>
> Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks & Happy Holidays.

Merry Edwards is in Windsor and makes some of the best Pinot Noirs and
Sauvignon Blancs in the area.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks everyone, this information is all great... I really appreciate
it. Keep it coming!

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

As a way out of towner (Minnesota), the only other
suggestion I can make is to tour the wine country
on Monday through Thursday. There are lots of folks
who head up to the wine country late Thursday afternoon.

JMHO
Dick R.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Correction about smaller producers in Napa (was Week in Sonoma/ Napa)

I previously wrote:

> If you're looking for the big-time Napa experience, there are many
> obvious places to go. Personally, I'd suggest making sure to include
> at least some of the following:

I meant to write:

"Personally, I'd suggest making sure to include at least
some of the following smaller producers:"

Sorry about that.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.wine

I'd love any suggestions for places for New Years. I've been
searching a lot and having trouble finding someplace and since we get
in to town only a day before new years eve I'd love to have my plans
settled upon before then.

Thanks again !

Posted to alt.food.wine

I'll echo the Jimtown cafe choice, even though it may be a bit chilly
to sit on the patio this time of year. And as long as you're out that
way, I'd definitely hit Hanna Winery. It's more towards the upscale
side, but not pretentious, and some of their wines will knock your
socks off.

Downtown Geyserville has a couple of must-hit spots. A new tasting
room called Locals (as opposed to non-locals, heh) provides samples
from nine different wineries. Tell Diane the guy from Seattle who
wants to move to Geyserville says hi. Meeker is literally across the
alley from Locals.

About 100' north on the same side of the street is a restaurant called
Santi. People have raved about it, but they always seem to be closed
when I'm in town.

I'm not sure I'd bike that Dry Creek/Guerneville road this time of
year. It was hairy enough driving it a week ago, a day after a brief
rainfall. But if you take Highway 116 through Sebastopol, et al,
you'll be astounded at the beauty of rolling hills of grape leaves in
their fall colors.

Grab a copy of the current West County Gazette, a freebie published
out of Forestville and distributed county wide. It's got several good
articles on local wine shops, including a feature on Sophie's Cellars
in Monte Rio. One cool thing Sophie's has done is arranged with some
local restaurants to waive corkage on wine you've purchased at the
shop. The restaurants are also listed on their web site,
http://sophiescellars.com/. (Shop is closed Wednesdays.)

Korbel has a brand new facility on the River Road just east of
Guerneville. Best wine shop in downtown Healdsburg is probably the
Wine Shop, lol. Run by Pedro Rusk, on the corner at 331 Healdsburg
Ave.

Wineries I wanted to hit this time but couldn't get to included:
Rochioli, Davis-Bynum, Hop Kiln (all near each other) Ferrari-Carano.
Also, if you can catch them open, Windsor Vineyards is a small
operation that does "vanity" labelling. I tasted their very decent
petite syrah back in August.

If you go to Cloverdale, check out LeVin Winery & Vineyards, owned by
Holly Harmon. Among other things, Holly is the daughter of Art Clokey,
pioneer creator of claymation and "Gumby." Holly illustrated the
recently published book, "Gumby Gumby Goes To Hollywood."

Zat enough? Oh, btw, an article in a Seattle neighborhood paper last
week bemoaned the priciness of Napa, where tastings now cost $25 at
some wineries. (Excuuuuze me for asking the obvious, but why do you
think I go to Sonoma instead?) OTOH, Visa Signature has a promotion
deal with at least 51 Sonoma wineries to waive tasting fees and/or
provide other discounts. Info and a participating wineries map at
http://tinyurl.com/227moc.

You're running out of time. Better get busy!

JJ

Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:
> I'll echo the Jimtown cafe choice, even though it may be a bit chilly
> to sit on the patio this time of year. And as long as you're out that
> way, I'd definitely hit Hanna Winery. It's more towards the upscale
> side, but not pretentious, and some of their wines will knock your
> socks off.
>
> Downtown Geyserville has a couple of must-hit spots. A new tasting
> room called Locals (as opposed to non-locals, heh) provides samples
> from nine different wineries. Tell Diane the guy from Seattle who
> wants to move to Geyserville says hi. Meeker is literally across the
> alley from Locals.
>
> About 100' north on the same side of the street is a restaurant called
> Santi. People have raved about it, but they always seem to be closed
> when I'm in town.
>
> I'm not sure I'd bike that Dry Creek/Guerneville road this time of
> year. It was hairy enough driving it a week ago, a day after a brief
> rainfall. But if you take Highway 116 through Sebastopol, et al,
> you'll be astounded at the beauty of rolling hills of grape leaves in
> their fall colors.
>
> Grab a copy of the current West County Gazette, a freebie published
> out of Forestville and distributed county wide. It's got several good
> articles on local wine shops, including a feature on Sophie's Cellars
> in Monte Rio. One cool thing Sophie's has done is arranged with some
> local restaurants to waive corkage on wine you've purchased at the
> shop. The restaurants are also listed on their web site,

http://sophiescellars.com/. (Shop is closed Wednesdays.)

> Korbel has a brand new facility on the River Road just east of
> Guerneville. Best wine shop in downtown Healdsburg is probably the
> Wine Shop, lol. Run by Pedro Rusk, on the corner at 331 Healdsburg
> Ave.
>
> Wineries I wanted to hit this time but couldn't get to included:
> Rochioli, Davis-Bynum, Hop Kiln (all near each other) Ferrari-Carano.
> Also, if you can catch them open, Windsor Vineyards is a small
> operation that does "vanity" labelling. I tasted their very decent
> petite syrah back in August.
>
> If you go to Cloverdale, check out LeVin Winery & Vineyards, owned by
> Holly Harmon. Among other things, Holly is the daughter of Art Clokey,
> pioneer creator of claymation and "Gumby." Holly illustrated the
> recently published book, "Gumby Gumby Goes To Hollywood."
>
> Zat enough? Oh, btw, an article in a Seattle neighborhood paper last
> week bemoaned the priciness of Napa, where tastings now cost $25 at
> some wineries. (Excuuuuze me for asking the obvious, but why do you
> think I go to Sonoma instead?) OTOH, Visa Signature has a promotion
> deal with at least 51 Sonoma wineries to waive tasting fees and/or
> provide other discounts. Info and a participating wineries map at
> http://tinyurl.com/227moc.
>
> You're running out of time. Better get busy!
>
> JJ

Just a couple of comments from the local. Davis-Bynum is no more. They
got sold and the tasting room is now called something else. As far a
cycling, my recommendation was West Dry Creek. Dry Creek and
Guerneville Rd. are not even close to each other. Email me if you want
more detailed cycling suggestions.

The best local rag for events and entertainment is The Bohemian

http://www.bohemian.com/news/northbay.html

You should be able to find something to do on New Years in there.

blkcat at gmail dot com

Dave

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:59:53 -0800, Dave >
wrote:

>Just a couple of comments from the local. Davis-Bynum is no more. They
>got sold and the tasting room is now called something else.

Yeah, I heard it was sold to Rodney Strong , but I thought they were
going to keep the name for now. Back in August, the Spectator
reported, "Rodney Strong will focus solely on the latter two varieties
(Russian River Pinot Noir and Chardonnay) under the Davis Bynum
label." Here's the full article:
http://winespectator.com/Wine/Featur...7,3946,00.html

>As far as cycling, my recommendation was West Dry Creek.

A better choice, for sure. I guess my point was that a lot of those
roads are rather narrow, and a little rain can make them downright
treacherous. I'm sure you've experienced the "new breed" of California
drivers.

JJ
Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:59:53 -0800, Dave >
> wrote:
>
>> Just a couple of comments from the local. Davis-Bynum is no more. They
>> got sold and the tasting room is now called something else.

> Yeah, I heard it was sold to Rodney Strong , but I thought they were
> going to keep the name for now. Back in August, the Spectator
> reported, "Rodney Strong will focus solely on the latter two varieties
> (Russian River Pinot Noir and Chardonnay) under the Davis Bynum
> label." Here's the full article:

http://winespectator.com/Wine/Featur...7,3946,00.html

I haven't been there since the name change, but the tasting room on
Westside Rd. (major cycling route) was closed for a couple of months and
there is now a new sign out in front with a new name that escapes me.

>> As far as cycling, my recommendation was West Dry Creek.

> A better choice, for sure. I guess my point was that a lot of those
> roads are rather narrow, and a little rain can make them downright
> treacherous. I'm sure you've experienced the "new breed" of California
> drivers.

Actually, I find most of the Sonoma County drivers to be very tolerant
of cyclists. I do avoid the roads around the wineries during major
event weekends when there are too many "tasters" on the road.
Otherwise, Sonoma County has some of the best cycling in America. Levi
Leipheimer lives here.

/d

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dave wrote:

> Just a couple of comments from the local. Davis-Bynum is no more. They
> got sold and the tasting room is now called something else. As far a
> cycling, my recommendation was West Dry Creek. Dry Creek and
> Guerneville Rd. are not even close to each other. Email me if you want
> more detailed cycling suggestions.

They sold their name and label only. The same people are still there
pouring River Bend which has been their on and off second label for the
last 30 years.

> The best local rag for events and entertainment is The Bohemian
> http://www.bohemian.com/news/northbay.html

John Ash used to have a good New Years celebration (before John left)
I think it is somewhat in the category of a Wendy's these days.
I am sure there is a big todo at Sonoma Mission Inn. Coppola (nee
Chat Souverin) will likely have a function.

I think one of the best things that you can do in Sonoma is to make
reservations at the wineries for a tour (especially the ones that are
open to the public on a regular basis) You will get much better
treatment and taste better wine. You can avoid tasting fees if you
concentrate on just one wine that they are most famous for. Tell them
that you don't want to do an across the board tasting but just the
Zins or Chards or whatever. You will usually get into some wines they
don't pour for the public.

Check out Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa if you want to buy anything.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:17:43 -0500, Bill Loftin
> wrote:

>I think one of the best things that you can do in Sonoma is to make
>reservations at the wineries for a tour (especially the ones that are
>open to the public on a regular basis) You will get much better
>treatment and taste better wine.

This is generally also the case if you show up on an "off day,"
especially in the "slow" season. I aim for Mondays and Tuesdays; on my
Oct. 1 visit to a top-rated Alexander Valley winery, the place was
almost empty. Later that day at a Dry Creek house we were the only two
people in the tasting room. That not only allowed us to taste some
exceptional wines -- and buy some that were no longer for sale to the
general public -- but at one winery I was invited to photograph areas
that were usually off limits during "visiting hours."

>Check out Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa if you want to buy anything.

Bottle Barn rocks! It's the only retailer I know that didn't jack up
the price on the '99 Hanna cab after the WS gave it a 92 several years
ago. Another good discount option is the various BevMo stores
scattered around the Bay Area.

JJ

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dave wrote:

> I should mention that Bottle Barn now has a tasting room in Healdsburg.
> They offer many, many local wines for tasting. The cost is a function
> of the wine and the size of taste you choose, generally in the $1-3
> range. The advantage is that you can taste several different wineries,
> all in the same place.

That's a great idea, Dave. Do they stock all the wines they pour on the
premises, or do you have to purchase them in the old Bottle Barn
location? This whole thread is going to go into the FAQ.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>> I should mention that Bottle Barn now has a tasting room in Healdsburg.
>> They offer many, many local wines for tasting. The cost is a function
>> of the wine and the size of taste you choose, generally in the $1-3
>> range. The advantage is that you can taste several different wineries,
>> all in the same place.

> That's a great idea, Dave. Do they stock all the wines they pour on the
> premises, or do you have to purchase them in the old Bottle Barn
> location? This whole thread is going to go into the FAQ.
>
> Mark Lipton

It's called the Wine Annex and they usually have around 50 different
bottles opened (stored and dispensed under nitrogen). They stock all
the wines they pour and charge the same discounted prices that Bottle
Barn in Santa Rosa does. I'm sure everyone has noticed that there are
no discounts at the wineries.

Dave
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2007-11-27 13:26:53 -0800, Dave > said:

> Mark Lipton wrote:
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> I should mention that Bottle Barn now has a tasting room in Healdsburg.
>>> They offer many, many local wines for tasting. The cost is a function
>>> of the wine and the size of taste you choose, generally in the $1-3
>>> range. The advantage is that you can taste several different wineries,
>>> all in the same place.

>> That's a great idea, Dave. Do they stock all the wines they pour on the
>> premises, or do you have to purchase them in the old Bottle Barn
>> location? This whole thread is going to go into the FAQ.
>>
>> Mark Lipton

> It's called the Wine Annex and they usually have around 50 different
> bottles opened (stored and dispensed under nitrogen). They stock all
> the wines they pour and charge the same discounted prices that Bottle
> Barn in Santa Rosa does. I'm sure everyone has noticed that there are
> no discounts at the wineries.
>
> Dave

They will also find unusual wines for you and discount them. I was
looking for Klick Zin, which they had never heard of (up in the Sonoma
hills) and the tracked it down, got the wine and still discounted it
for me. But we've been trying to keep Bottle Barn quiet!

Off to Napa/Sonoma Bi!! Wine 2 10-05-2010 04:11 AM
Big Group Traveling to Napa or Sonoma [email protected] Wine 7 28-07-2006 02:18 AM
Where to go in California - Mendocino or Napa or Sonoma? Combest Wine 11 05-05-2006 07:34 PM
Napa Sonoma Recommendations? [email protected] Wine 7 28-02-2005 02:03 AM
Napa Sonoma suggestions requested? Midlife Wine 13 27-07-2004 11:26 PM