William Jennings

Default Ameranth?

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> > I have never seen Amaranth in any supermarket in the United States.

Have
> > you?
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > If anybody carries it Fiesta stores here in Houston will have it .

Next
> time I'm in there I'll look for it.
> Jack

Sun Harvest Foods in San Antonio has amaranth. If there is a 99 Ranch
Market in your area they often carry amaranth.
I've had amaranth (amaranto), in both Tlaxcala, Mexico and Peru. In
Peru it was cooked without salt (salt seems to make it gritty in the
cooking process) then added to chicken or turkey broth. Amaranth seed
has a unique nutty flavor. In Mexico they make a candy called "Alegria"
(happy) with popped amaranth and thick sweetner.

doc