Wayne Lundberg

Default Ameranth?

I understand that there is more nutrients in Amaranth than any other food
source including rice, beans, wheat, spinach, etc.

It is delicious when prepared like they do in Taxco and most of Michoacan -
like a chile relleno, the weed packed and covered with a batter then deep
fried and served with a tomato sauce.

I have never seen Amaranth in any supermarket in the United States. Have
you?

Wayne

Jim Lane

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> I understand that there is more nutrients in Amaranth than any other food
> source including rice, beans, wheat, spinach, etc.
>
> It is delicious when prepared like they do in Taxco and most of Michoacan -
> like a chile relleno, the weed packed and covered with a batter then deep
> fried and served with a tomato sauce.
>
> I have never seen Amaranth in any supermarket in the United States. Have
> you?
>
> Wayne

Health food stores might carry it and I remember seeing it as an
ingredient in a mixed-grain cereal.

jim

Smack Smack

Default Ameranth? - Aztec Corncakes with Pear Salsa

> Wayne

Mr. Lundberg, I apologize to you and the group for any offense taken.
None was intended .. guess the smileyface was too obscure and overlooked.

--------------------------
Aztec Corncakes with Pear Salsa
The masa dough is made using 1 cup yellow cornmeal, 3/4 cup amaranth flour
with
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth.
The recipe is at:
<http://www.healthwell.com/deliciousk...orncakes.cfm?k
ey=21&recipekey=364>

--------------------------
Nu-World Amaranth - "The Nation's Leading Amaranth Foods Manufacturer"
They manufacture snacks, cereals and baking ingredients.
A list of their distributors can be downloaded at:
http://www.nuworldfamily.com/retaile...butor_list.pdf

--------------------------
Amaranth leaves can be cooked and eaten as greens.
Its young leaves and stems can be used in salads and soups.

--------------------------
To answer your question, no.

Jack Sloan

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> I understand that there is more nutrients in Amaranth than any other food
> source including rice, beans, wheat, spinach, etc.
>
> It is delicious when prepared like they do in Taxco and most of

Michoacan -
> like a chile relleno, the weed packed and covered with a batter then deep
> fried and served with a tomato sauce.
>
> I have never seen Amaranth in any supermarket in the United States. Have
> you?
>
> Wayne
>
> If anybody carries it Fiesta stores here in Houston will have it . Next

time I'm in there I'll look for it.
Jack

Jim Lane

Jim Lane wrote:
> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>
>> I understand that there is more nutrients in Amaranth than any other food
>> source including rice, beans, wheat, spinach, etc.
>>
>> It is delicious when prepared like they do in Taxco and most of
>> Michoacan -
>> like a chile relleno, the weed packed and covered with a batter then deep
>> fried and served with a tomato sauce.
>>
>> I have never seen Amaranth in any supermarket in the United States. Have
>> you?
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Health food stores might carry it and I remember seeing it as an
> ingredient in a mixed-grain cereal.
>

> jim

The label the flour and/or grain was Bob's Red Mill.

Also, MexicoConne4ct (?) has about four Mexican recipes using amaranth.
I'll re-search it and get the URL later tonight.

jim

William Jennings

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> > I have never seen Amaranth in any supermarket in the United States.

Have
> > you?
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > If anybody carries it Fiesta stores here in Houston will have it .

Next
> time I'm in there I'll look for it.
> Jack

Sun Harvest Foods in San Antonio has amaranth. If there is a 99 Ranch
Market in your area they often carry amaranth.
I've had amaranth (amaranto), in both Tlaxcala, Mexico and Peru. In
Peru it was cooked without salt (salt seems to make it gritty in the
cooking process) then added to chicken or turkey broth. Amaranth seed
has a unique nutty flavor. In Mexico they make a candy called "Alegria"
(happy) with popped amaranth and thick sweetner.

doc

Wayne Lundberg

Thank you one and all!!!

Wayne